lighting question (to siesta or not to siesta)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question about

I have a 55 gal, planted community, running CO2 injection. I use 2 54watt T5HO bulbs. I run the lights and the CO2 on a digital timer.

Hello there,

The LFS guys say I should run my lights and CO2 continuously for at least 10 hrs without interruption, however in Peter Hiscock's (2003) Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants, he discusses the use of a siesta period where the lights are on for 5 to 6 hrs, then off for 2 to 3, then back on for 5 to 6 more hours. My tank receives a considerable amount of natural light from our living room windows so I have been using the siesta method to cut back on the black hair algae that I was getting. This and the dosing of Flourish excel has disrupted the algae growth in the tank, so I am happy about that. I think I will keep it on the siesta schedule, since the plants are still thriving; if it aint broke, then don't fix it approach.

Question: what are your lighting schedules, and have you had to adjust then readjust?

Your thoughts are appreciated. :fish1:

8-10 hours a day straight, without a siesta. But then, I do not have any direct sunlight coming to my tank.

Back
Top Bottom