Lighting timer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. In efforts to save electricity and cut back on algae, as well as keeping my aquarium lit during the hours im home automatically, I was wondering the following: I have 3 aquariums with 4 lights total. I am gone to work from 2:15 pm to 11:30 pm 5 days a week. I googled around and saw that fish should have their lights on for 8-12 hours a day. I have no live plants in my tank. I was wondering if I can split the 8-12 hours a day into 2 mini day night cycles. For example leaving it on in the morning for 4-6 hours and turn it off while I'm at work then turning it back on for 4-6 hours for a total of 8-12 hours a day... Is this bad for the fish? Should the fish have one consistent day and night? I want to do: 9am - 2pm on 2pm - 9pm off 9pm - 2am on 2am - 9am off And repeat. This works best with my schedule as sometimes I get out of work early at 9pm. Thanks for any recommendations and suggestions. - mike

Wherever you read that would not be a good source for future reference. Fish do not need light. Unless you're in a dungeon with no ambient light, you don't have to turn the aquarium light on except when you want to see them. I never turned the lights on in my 150 mbuna tank unless I was feeding them (once every 2-3 days) or taking pics... and occasionally when people would come over. So, to save energy, just turn them on when you want to.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know! I guess I'll stop leaving the light on while I'm at work. I attached a pic of my tanks btw.

Thx again :)

Ps. You've been very helpful so far... I thought I'd fill you in with my cichlid tank. I have 12 yellow labs in the 40 gallon long tank now (4 ft long) and they are all doing well. Is this too many? I think they average 4" right? 12x4=36... also I added them 6 at a time spaces out. The tank went into a mini cycle but 2-3 days later it was cycled again...

I got 12 of them for $45 from the local pet store. Good deal? Most are hybrid tho:( and a couple are a bit faded. Considering returning the faded ones for more colorful ones. Do they start breeding at 2"? They're 1.5" now.
Thx rookie!

Attachments

• image-1432476518.jpg
    image-1432476518.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 83
Thanks again. Someone posted:

"Most species require day and night in a cycle similar to the wild if they are to remain healthy. There are alot of reasons, but here's the biggies:

It regulates their metabolism
It establishes a sleep/wake cycle
It provides vitamins & nutrients
It extablishes the cycle for beneficial bacteria
It establishes algae which some species eat"

This all doesn't matter?

Back
Top Bottom