Lighting times / timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkerk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I have setup a 29 gallon tropical tank and am curious to know if it is unhealthy for my fish to have my lighting on at two different times of day. Since my wife and I work two different schedules with her on first shift and I am on second, I wanted to possibly have the light on from about 9am - 12pm then from 4pm - 10pm so that we can both enjoy the tank. Right now I get about an hour and a half of a lit tank per workday and want to enjoy them before I go to work. Will this mess up the fishies night schedule or should I just leave the light on for 13 hours a day? I have a timer on my light so I could set it for multiple intervals.

Recently I have setup a 29 gallon tropical tank and am curious to know if it is unhealthy for my fish to have my lighting on at two different times of day. Since my wife and I work two different schedules with her on first shift and I am on second, I wanted to possibly have the light on from about 9am - 12pm then from 4pm - 10pm so that we can both enjoy the tank. Right now I get about an hour and a half of a lit tank per workday and want to enjoy them before I go to work. Will this mess up the fishies night schedule or should I just leave the light on for 13 hours a day? I have a timer on my light so I could set it for multiple intervals.

I ran my lights on a 6 hour on / off cycle for months and saw no bad results from it. It should be just fine.

A split cycle like that is fine and preferable over a 13 hour photoperiod which would most likely cause you to start having algae issues.

Back
Top Bottom