Lights for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I'm about to convert my ten gallon into SOWLP tank. (That's an acronym for Shrimp Only With Live Plants) I only have a Perfect-A-Strip single bulb, thus I can only get very low light plants. To get plants that require higher lighting, I would need to replace this light strip. What is a good, not too expensive light for medium to high light plants?

Definitely a power compact or t5ho lighting fixture. You could even use CFLs and reflectors for an economical way of doing things

I would get a regular 10g hood that fits 2 CFL bulbs. Then I would get 15W daylight bulbs. That should bring you up to medium lighting.

pleechford said:
Definitely a power compact or t5ho lighting fixture. You could even use CFLs and reflectors for an economical way of doing things

+1 power compact or T5HO would bring you up to high levels of light.

T5ho and PC is way overkill for a 10g, don't waste your time and money unless you are planning to go extremely high tech. And even then, you will likely have to dial the light down a bit to get everything balanced.

Is the perfectastrip a fluorescent strip light or a screw in bulb fixture?

As mentioned, just get a 2 bulb screw-in light fixture, they are really cheap and usually come with 10g kits so they aren't hard to find. Replace the bulbs with some daylight (full spectrum) spiral CFL's or the screw-in daylight bulbs in the aquarium section at walmart or one of the LFS/LPS. That'll give you more than enough light for what you are trying to do.

I hear people usually recommend getting 6500k bulbs as they emit the spectrum similar to the rays of the sun for proper photosynthesis.

Cornstar said:
I hear people usually recommend getting 6500k bulbs as they emit the spectrum similar to the rays of the sun for proper photosynthesis.
Actually, any light in the 5,000-10000K range offers optimal color for "proper" photosynthesis.

jetajockey said:
T5ho and PC is way overkill for a 10g, don't waste your time and money unless you are planning to go extremely high tech. And even then, you will likely have to dial the light down a bit to get everything balanced.

As mentioned, just get a 2 bulb screw-in light fixture, they are really cheap and usually come with 10g kits so they aren't hard to find. Replace the bulbs with some daylight (full spectrum) spiral CFL's or the screw-in daylight bulbs in the aquarium section at walmart or one of the LFS/LPS. That'll give you more than enough light for what you are trying to do.

I agree, unless it is a lower watt HO fixture, then it would be overkill.

Pretty sure it is a fluorescent strip light, here is a link saying that:Perfecto Fluorescent Perfect-a-Strip Light Black Aquarium Fluorescent Light Fixtures

This kneejerk response of T5HO is almost borderline bad advice a lot of the time. If you're serious about plants and have the cash, get a CO2 system, which will help your plants far more than high lighting ever will.

If you just have a single T8 strip light, you can get a glass top and a second T8 strip.

I would get a regular 10g hood that fits 2 CFL bulbs. Then I would get 15W daylight bulbs. That should bring you up to medium lighting.
Ok, all the plants I want right now would be Anacharis, Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, and cabomba. Are these all very low lighting plants?

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, all the plants I want right now would be Anacharis, Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, and cabomba. Are these all very low lighting plants?

They would all do OK in low light, but much better under 2 CFLs.

Back
Top Bottom