Lights Out vs. Moonlight - Fish gasping for air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwkremer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon planted tank with four small discus, a couple angels, cories, clown loaches, and 16 cardinal tetras. It's about 6 weeks old, numbers all good. Plants healthy and growing, and fish are healthy. Did my weekly 50% water change yesterday and dosed with recommended amount of Excel Flourish.

I have used the moonlight setting (blue only, set at 1 out of 100) on my Ecoxotic E Series every night except two. Last night it was completely dark as I was trying to

Both times I set it to completely dark rather than using moonlight, in the morning all the fish were at the top of the tank gasping for air. Assuming oxygen loss, I am now blasting the water surface with the canister outflow, and they are all settling back down. I also cranked the lights to see if the plants would start breathing.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION: Could it be just a coincidence that the two nights I went completely dark rather than using the (very dim) moonlight setting the fish were gasping for air in the morning? My only thought is that the plants might respirate CO2 far more in a completely dark environment vs. a little bit of blue light. Maybe it's the additional Excel after a water change? (Five caps rather than two).

Any thoughts? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410696911.181186.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tbe excel isnt going to do it. Its not actually co2 but just a complex carbon molecule.

If they are doing that at night then you decinitely dont have enough surface agitation. Maybe you could set up an air stone on a timer to have it running at night.

Surface agitation - yes, come to think of it I filled the tank higher than usual yesterday, putting the outflow further down thus creating less agitation. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just rig up an air stone on a cheap timer..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angle the spray bar (s) to achieve a small burble. That will add enough o2 for your fish.

I had a similar problem with my tank. I run co2 so the problem was amplified. I increased surface agitation and added an air stone timed for night, when lights and co2 timed off.

I eliminated the air stone relying solely on the surface agitation. All is fine,now.

Back
Top Bottom