Limestone Air Bubble question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting every week some black jello type substance build up on the wood surface, I'm not sure if this is do to the plecos sucking on it that I have seen them. or snails, eggs? anyone got this type of stuff before, the black maybe do to substrate?

I'm not quite sure what the context of this post has to do with the title of the post (Limestone Air Bubble question) but the 'black jello' substance on your driftwood might be a cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) colony. It isn't uncommon for them to be very dark...especially if there isn't a whole lot of light.

-Joe

Fruitbat said:
I'm not quite sure what the context of this post has to do with the title of the post (Limestone Air Bubble question) but the 'black jello' substance on your driftwood might be a cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) colony. It isn't uncommon for them to be very dark...especially if there isn't a whole lot of light.

-Joe
i think he means his limewood airstone

it could be cyno, or mold :?

mine had some mold-like stuff on it for a while

Correct I ment the limestone wood surface lol
I've notice the common pleco always sucking on it so much he made the coral life writing disappear I thought maybe it was his stuff or eggs or something never thought it was mold or something like that. thanks guys. I just clean it out every week and throw it away.

I also found that the bacteria you guys mention can cause this:
Some species of cyanobacteria produce neurotoxins, hepatotoxins, cytotoxins, and endotoxins, making them dangerous to animals and humans. Several cases of human poisoning have been documented but a lack of knowledge prevents an accurate assessment of the risks.

A neurotoxin is a toxin that acts specifically on nerve cells – neurons – usually by interacting with membrane proteins and ion channels. Many of the venoms and other toxins that organisms use in defense against vertebrates are neurotoxins. A common effect is paralysis, which sets in very rapidly

Hepatotoxicity (from hepatic toxicity) is chemical-driven liver damage. Chemicals that cause liver damage are called hepatotoxins

Cytotoxicity is the quality of being toxic to cells. Examples of toxic agents are a chemical substance or an immune cell.

Cytotoxicity can be measured by the MTT assay.

Antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity (ADCC) describes the cell-killing ability of certain lymphocytes, which requires the target cell being marked by an antibody. Lymphocyte-mediated cytotoxicity, on the other hand, does not have to be mediated by antibodies; nor does complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC), which is mediated by the complement system.

Three groups of cytotoxic T lymphocytes are distinguished: antigenic (immunized) T lymphocytes, killer cells, and natural killer cells

Endotoxins are potentially toxic, natural compounds found inside pathogens such as bacteria. Classically, an "endotoxin" is a toxin, which unlike an "exotoxin", is not secreted in soluble form by live bacteria, but is a structural component in the bacteria which is released mainly when bacteria are lyse.

I'm thinking I should start wearing gloves? or am I the only one? my girlfriend sticks her hand in there once and a while and shes going through lung cancer and I'm just freaking out on these findings,

Kaz, could you snap a picture of your black jello-like stuff? From your description, it sounds like blue green algae (cyanobacteria). I've seen it in shades of purple - almost black.

As far as the danger, it really has to be ingested or inhaled in significant quantities to do you harm. I just make sure to wash my hands and arms after working in the tank, and I use gloves if I have open cuts on my hands.

sorry but I do not own a camera with good res to get something of a good picture,
I do wash my hands and arms in hot water with plenty of soap but I think I will be ordering some gloves to prevent and be safe than sorry not only to myself but others in family.

Back
Top Bottom