Limestone Rock for Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't boil it! I have heard that it can cause weaker parts of the rock to explode and send shards flying. I'm not sure if this is realistic, but threat was enough for me. I use all kinds if rock in my tank (after soaking and the vinegar test) and have found that while they do raise the ph a bit at first, it seems to level out. I'm don't think any of my rocks are limestone though. I have always gone with the idea that I'll try and then take it back out if it doesn't work out. You can always do a large water change to balance things again!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I've heard that too..I was considering doing it outside on a camping stove. If it does blow up it could be interesting..

But I agree that it could be tried and then taken out if it's causing weird water parameters..

Also, our water pH is already high straight from the tap..so the limestone can't have that big an effect.

I just went to the river and gathered some lava rock. Only thing I'm wanting now is a nice algae to coat the rocks but for some reason I haven't been able to get it going.

I just went to the river and gathered some lava rock. Only thing I'm wanting now is a nice algae to coat the rocks but for some reason I haven't been able to get it going.

Leave your lights on 10 hours a day, if you've no algae growth get better lights. You can get fluorescent lights and full spectrum bulbs at Wal-Mart for cheap. I paid ~$20 for the light, bulbs and timer.

As far as rocks exploding, if you pour boiling water over them it will accomplish the same thing. Simply throwing it in the oven at 200 degrees for several hours is also effective.

To make a rock explode it needs to be saturated with water and then rapidly heated, so that the water turns to steam too quickly to escape. Boiling will likely not cause this, although it is possible.

Heating a rock to 200 will kill all bacteria, but it is below the boiling point of water so there's no possibility of explosion.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the info energizerbunny! I'll try that next time I'm adding rocks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Alright guys, so I was at the local garden place and they had these things of rocks..would they be okay in my tank after a good clean and boil?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410150909.142536.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410150924.864171.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410150940.595419.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410150956.007100.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410150974.793988.jpg

Back
Top Bottom