Limia nigrofasciata (Tiger) live bearer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueyedbombshel

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414971025.790073.jpg

Anyone have any experience keeping these little guys? I've kept live bearers before but have never seen these.

Looking at possibly keeping them in a 10 gallon low light planted... What else do you think would be good for this tank?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi,

I've got those humpedbacked limias as well. These guys will grow up till an average of 2 inches. They're pretty hardy. Easy eaters. You can almost feed them everything. They don't even have a problem with some lower temps.
Furthermore, they're easy breeders. The parents won't eat their fry.

These fish were general available during the seventies and eighties. Overhere where I live these fish re-entered the aquarium scene for about 7 years ago. But in a way, it's considered a rare strain these days...

Thanks for the feedback!! Are the males as colorful as the picture I posted?? I live in NM and there is no petstores here so I will be getting them shipped.

Probably a flash was used when this pic was taken. They're not bluish as the pic shows. They're more brown to be honest.

Attachments

• ln1a.JPG
    ln1a.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 104
  • ln1b.JPG
    ln1b.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 74
Also, how many in a 10 gallon densely planted?? I've heard they reach 2 inches... That would be roughly 5-6 in a 10

Please tell me you aren't following 1 in per gal.

Both genders are almost equally in size...
Keep in mind that they're easy breeders. An average drop of fry is between 10-20 fry.

That's why it was a question and not a statement...? So how many would you consider in a 10???

A trio and let them breed

They breed so easily id be cautious on that front so that some fry can be kept

I do get what you mean... But it won't harm for now.
Overhere there's no problem keeping them together for I've got a lot more of these fish in not a very huge tank (depends on what I call not huge, huh....). And they're healthy and vivid.

Back
Top Bottom