lingering PH questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElanaJoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! After reading everything I can about PH, I still have some questions.

Here is what I gather, please correct me where I may be wrong:

1)Better to have not ideal PH and be stable, then it to fluctuate in attempt to make it ideal.

2) if my water is hard, even things like peat may not lower my PH because it is too buffered???

3) aeration raises PH

4) bottled water, or tap will not give an accurate reading right away

5) you can let water sit or put a bubbler in it to get whatever gasses out more quickly and that will show the TRUE ph.

So here goes the questions:

A) how long really should I let water sit out in order to get an accurate reading?

B) should I stop using the bubbler in my tank when my PH is like 8.2? (it's a 5 gall)

C) when I just aerated my well water in a small container to make the ph rise to what I was hoping would be a true reflection of the ph, it went from like 7.8 to nearly 9 after a couple hours! does that mean my ph is really that high, or did I bring it up artificially higher than it is by aerating it too much??? My water in my tank seems to just want to be 8.2 no matter what I do. Problem is, my well water recently has been showing lower than usual ph right out the gate (or even after sitting in an open but small mouthed jug for 24 hrs) maybe because of recent snow melt? I like the lower reading, but I feel like it always creeps back up and stabilizes to 8.2 once in the tank. Should I now mix the crazy high ph with the lower ph and try to match my tank ph before adding?

thanks all!

I say leave the ph alone. Sometimes test kits can drive a person nuts. I know my water is around the same range as yours and it's been supporting Africans and Amazon fish for years. I check the ph when I sense something is off which is almost never.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I say leave the ph alone. Sometimes test kits can drive a person nuts. I know my water is around the same range as yours and it's been supporting Africans and Amazon fish for years. I check the ph when I sense something is off which is almost never.

Thanks. I had a week of fish death, but I am just starting up and it was week ONE. I acclimated them slowly (about 6 hours) because it was going from 7 to over 8 and I had read that a jump in PH that big is dangerous in too short period of time. I just want it to be stable and start over with the fish. Right now, I have no fresh water that matches the PH to do a water change. Is it ok to be adding water that is a lower PH even if it will creep back up? Is that going to make it fluctuate and stress the remaining fish?

Sorry about the fish death. There are many other factors that can attribute to fish death, ph being on the bottom of the list. You mentioned a 5 gallon? Can you tell us what fish you have, filtration, feeding and water changes? Temp? Is it a cycled tank/filter?

Back
Top Bottom