Liquid CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOck

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I saw liquid CO2 solution advertised and wanted to know how this solutions turns into a gas? Is this a good alternative to an expensive CO2 system?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

"liquid co2" ; Excell/Gluteraldehyde are carbon sources that work well as a co2 substitute.
None turn to gas.
There are DIY co2 systems of sugar and yeast....
I use the glut(way cheaper then seachem excel and 2 1/2 times as strong) and use co2.
The carbon source(excel /glut) help in many cases to control algae (much like H2O2).

Agree with the above.
Liquid Co2 source is a source of carbon for your plants but also contains a mild algaecide, a useful side effect. For the full effect on your plants then add Co2 as a gas but continue with the liquid carbon (Excel or Glut).
The combination can have a startling effect on plant growth but if your lighting is reasonable then you will need liquid ferts and root tabs for plants like swords and crypts that are heavy root feeders. The accelerated plant growth can quickly strip your tank of nutrients without added ferts.
As a lover of well planted tanks I can recommend all of the above but you can get there one step at a time. It was a year before I settled on the final balance, all tanks will differ though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So liquid and gas are needed? Also if I buy like a pre nutrient rich substrate do instill need to add fertz? Can you just list out things that you use for health care please? I also have a really good hi watt light.

Thanks!!

Hi. Your Nutrient rich Substrate will give you a good start but, depending on the amount, size and type of plants, it will run out of nutrients. My best guess is between 3 and 6 months.
I use seachem root tabs for my crypts and seachem Flourish comprehensive liquid for the water colour feeders such as miss and Java Fern. There are cheaper products but I like these. They are effective and o have read on here that some people have had ammonia spikes after using cheap or home made root tabs. I have never had that with seachem, but they're not cheap.
Ideally with a high level lighting system you should have a carbon source. Liquid carbon is good. Co2 gas is better but more expensive to set up and can be tricky if you overdose (the fish will suffer with excessive Co2). It's hard to overdose liquid carbon. Again, I use seachem Excel, they must be making a fortune out of me ?.

You don't need to use the liquid or co2 necessarily.
Depends on plants you want to keep.
High light may demand the use of ferts or liquid/co2 or thebalance will be off and you will grow great algae!
What light do you have,and what plants are you planning on?

Back
Top Bottom