liquid rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I deal with what is basically liquid rock that comes out my tap? I checked and ours is between 53-60gpg and it said that it was very hard. I am going nuts trying to keep the ph down to what I would concider tolerable levels. I managed for a couple of days to keep it down to 8.2 but this morning it was back up to 8.8 maybe more that is as high as my test reads. How do I consistantly keep the levels down while still doing regular water changes?

How do I deal with what is basically liquid rock that comes out my tap? I checked and ours is between 53-60gpg and it said that it was very hard. I am going nuts trying to keep the ph down to what I would concider tolerable levels. I managed for a couple of days to keep it down to 8.2 but this morning it was back up to 8.8 maybe more that is as high as my test reads. How do I consistantly keep the levels down while still doing regular water changes?

gpg? Grains per gallon? I've never heard of hardness being measured in grains per gallon? regardless, hardness should not affect pH directly. Are you on a well or using a city water tap? If you are on a well, you need to have it checked professionally if you are using it in the home, and if you are on a city tap, you need to have your test kit double-checked.

It's city water. The readings where off of the water report printed in the paper

You might want to do some checking, the recommended drinking water standard set for pH by the EPA is 8.5.

As someone else earlier in the thread suggested, mix RO water with your tap water, that should cut both the hardness and the pH. Start with a 50-50 mix and then test your levels to see where you are at, adjust from there.

Tanganyikan cichlids. Seriously, they will love your water, and there are many fascinating species available in the hobby....

I was thinking of just going with cichlids I just don't know what I would do with the fish that I have atm. They all seem to be coping pretty well. There isn't much I can do until the livebearer fry I have in the tank get a bit older. I got 10 gallons of RO and distilled water to add in to the tank at the last water change about 2 days ago to try and help stablize the ph it worked for about 24 hours and then started to climb back up again. Could there be something in my tank that would cause it to continue to rise like that? Even after adding 5 gallons of RO and 5 gallons of DI water? It is 37g tank so that was more than 25% of the total volume of the water.

Back
Top Bottom