Liquid water test kit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChessPawn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a liquid test kit for my freshwater aquarium.
It's a "API Freshwater Master Test Kit," it measures pH, ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate.
The information booklet has some information about the testing fluid, it says the Ammonia test solution is "harmful" and the Nitrate test solution is an "irritant." Of course be careful, don't let the test fluid get in the tank, wash your hands, but I wondered, should I just be pouring these chemicals down the drain when I'm through testing?

Can't tell if I'm over thinking this, or has anyone else had this question... ?
:ermm:

Thanks

Water Testing Chemicals

Hello Chess...

Just pour the testing liquid down the drain. There's nothing harmful in it. While we're communicating, consider a more aggressive water change routine. When you get to the point you're changing half the tank water at least weekly, you won't need to test the tank water, you'll know it's always waste free and safe for the tank inhabitants. Saves time and money.

Just a thought, "vote your conscience".

B

Just pour the testing liquid down the drain. There's nothing harmful in it....
B

While I agree with your first sentence, the second one is not correct. You should review the MSDS before making that claim. The MSDS for each component of the API FW Master Test Kit can be found here: http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=downloads&id=580 Just click on the blue "Learn More" buttons.
Here is a direct link to the Liquid Ammonia Test Solution #2:http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/3335...ndors_2014_February_04_05-51-20-104_AM-1.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello Chess...

Just pour the testing liquid down the drain. There's nothing harmful in it. While we're communicating, consider a more aggressive water change routine. When you get to the point you're changing half the tank water at least weekly, you won't need to test the tank water, you'll know it's always waste free and safe for the tank inhabitants. Saves time and money.

Just a thought, "vote your conscience".

B

Umm... not everyone lives on a magical shire in the land of nod.. pretty sure it's been stated, in multiple threads, that dumping chems. Down the drain in California is pretty frowned upon, perhaps illegal?!?!? Decaf bro...
Op- I dump the tests in the toilet, dilution is the solution, you should def. Check local laws and regs. If you're on well than you may want to take that into consideration. It's really trivial amounts but we don't want the neighbors garden dying;)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A, using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom