Little white fast whirlie bugs in my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Absinthena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I will have to make this quick because I gotta get to my night class.
A week ago I bought SAE and Red Cherry Shrimp fro azgardens.com
The shrimp came in a little bag with these light colored crazy little bug things. They're about 2 1/2 mm long and have legs. Their forms most looks like small versions of my dried plankton I feed my other tank. - Like little shrimp. Thinking thats what they were I put them in the tank with the shrimp, my platys, my cory and the SAEs. Well, I ended up having problems with my SAEs (see latest post)... all but one died over the span of a week. The one left, as off two days ago, actually seems like it might stick around. But this morning I woke up to two dead platys (never lost one in a year) and a dead shrimp. I skipped class and did an immediate water change with new - then tested the old water. O2, NH3, NO2, NO3 and Fe were all fine. NH3 was a smidge over Zero. But when testing the discard water I noticed two of those things from the bag of shrimp in there swimming and darting around like crazy things. This time, in the water, they looked more like bugs - Seemed to looks like they had wings or something. Still have legs though. They don't hang out at the surface at all. Now that I have two dead fish and one shrimp I am wondering what these weird things are. God knows how many I might have in my gravel since a week ago, ya know?

I can't take a picture because they're just too small and move way too fast. Also, it is worth mentioning that this tank is planted. And that the last plants I added were about a month ago now.

Well.. off to class. Hopefully I will know something more by the time class is over!!! :wink:

Anne

Check google images for isopods. They are small crustaceans that look like tiny shrimp. They swim like little acrobats. Don't know if they pose any risks to home aquariums, but I am familiar with them from doing research on lakes and streams. Sounds like them.
let us know.
-Mark

Sorry, I made a mistake. I said isopod, which is a land dweller (doodle bug) instead of amphipod (aquatic critter). :oops:
Try amphipod and see what you think. They are actually related to isopods and other crustaceans as well.
-Mark

You're wonderful. This is the closest thing I have seen to what could be in my tank. Also, one of the fiorst images I found had a caption stating amphipod's are found in the hyporheic zone of the Rio Calaveras in the Jemez mountains, NM. I purchased my shrimp from ARIZONA Aquatic Gardens!

For people interested here is a picture. http://www.tamug.tamu.edu/cavebiology/fauna/PhotoGallery/Yucatan/images/Dscn3317b.jpg

Well, this is a starting point. I did just realize that I could bring these guys to my Aquatic Ecology teacher at school. Jeez... What a thought! But that won't be until Monday. So, if anyone knows anything about amphipods.. please... bring it on!

And thanks Mark. :D

They should turn into fish food very quickly if you have something big enough to eat them.
I'm SURE your ecology teacher can tell you loads about them.
-mark

Another good thing is they won't hurt anything else.
These are usually foud where there is an abundance of excess food.

Back
Top Bottom