Little white worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peaceablegarden

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, my tank 2 is finally clearing of the green water algae bloom. Slow but it is clearing. I have noticed in both tanks, little white worms. They range about 1-2cm in length and look like white thread. I though it was a poop, but you can see them definately swimming. They seem to be in the gravel and when I vacuum they come out. They don't seem to be bothering with the fish and conversely the fish don't seem interested in them. They just seem gross and don't like the thought of them on my arm when cleaning. I've assumed they're not a problem. Though it wouldn't hurt me if I could get rid of them.

Yeah I suggest just to vaccum those guys out. Most things like worms that just pop up in your tank are not good, most likely parasites. Don't want your fish having those.

Definately not mosquito larve. They seem to be either a nematode as suggested or a planaria. Either way, from what I've read, vaccuming gravel, dosing with salt, and less food should help. They can be introduced with new fish, from food, or other new organic material added to a tank and are not harmful to fish.

yes, just be careful with the salt as otos have extremely low tolerance for it and it might distress them. I was able to clear up the same type of worms without salt.

If you have a really bad infestation, you can use canine dewormer in powder form: Planaria and Hydra Elimination in Shrimp Tanks - Library - Aquatic Plant Central

It works wonders.

(as an aside, have you considered adding more otos to your tanks? they are very sociable and like to school.)

Thanks for the salt tip. I'll be doing a pwc today and won't replace the salt. Ottos seem to be fine. How did you beat the problem? Just pwcs and vaccuming? I'd love a few more Ottos. They're cool fish, but don't want to over load my tanks. Thought I was sort of at my limit.

They are harmless, sounds like Planaria. They will provide snacks for your fish. If your worried about getting rid of them then cut back on your feedings (usually a sign of overfeeding) and vacuum your gravel really good.

Thanks for the salt tip. I'll be doing a pwc today and won't replace the salt. Ottos seem to be fine. How did you beat the problem? Just pwcs and vaccuming? I'd love a few more Ottos. They're cool fish, but don't want to over load my tanks. Thought I was sort of at my limit.

Two different episodes. One was minor and they cleared up with pwc's and vacuuming. The other was major and I used the dewormer. There are a few here and there now in my planted tank and my betta likes to snack on them.

You may be at your biolad limit; I'm no expert on that! I just love watching my otos interact with each other and I know they don't contribute much to the biolad. Someone more experienced than I am could probably tell you if it's safe to add more.

I recently had that problem. I moved my one of my plecos to that tank and put aquarium salt in it and some baby convicts and they were gone in less than a day without vacuumin or any of that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom