Live-Bearing Tooth carps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is for HOLLIEO.

These live-bearing toothcarps are mostly small fishes distributed from the southern United States, throughout Central America including the West Indies, and south and northern Argentina. However some species have now been taken by man to many other tropical area's, where they are bred in large numbers for the aquarium trade. A few species have been introduced into malarial areas to control mosquito larvae.
Female live-bearers are usually larger than the males, but the males have more striking colours and patterns, and often longer fins. The males also have a special organ, known as the gonopodium, which developes from the anal fin and is used to transfer packets of sperm to the female. The gonopodium consists of the third, fourth, and fifth rays of the anal fin; the other rays of this fin are much smaller.
During mating the gonopodium is turned forward and its fin rays form a trough that is closed by the ventral fin to form a tube. The pockets of sperm pass down the tube into the oviduct of the female. There the pockets break up to release the sperm, some of which fertilize the eggs, while the remainder are stored in the folds of the oviduct wall. A single mating is sufficient for several pregnancies. The yolky eggs develope within the oviduct and the young are born alive. The live-bearing toothcarps are amoung the most popular aquarium fishes. This is due to there small size and great colouration and ease with which they can be bred. here is a list of some live- bearers:- mosquito fish, molly, Black bellied limia, Guppy, Mexican sailfin molly, swordtails, Platy. The other thing that i would like to mention is that when breeding these fish to stop the stress on the females it is a good idea to have a ratio of 3-4 females to every male.

I love my toothed carps :) Only my angelfish loves them more - gets a good steady diet of fry.

oh, and the teeth are in the fishes throat I believe, not it's mouth - so they can't bite you :)

Hi JustDIY
You are right about the teeth, it is the same for most fish and they use the muscles and teeth in there mouth to draw the fish in. you will also find that most fish when they eat pray always take it head first. if they have it tail first they will turn the fish round, this is because of the bones of the fish they are eating.

Back
Top Bottom