Live Brine Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here's my problem:
I set up a 2 liter bottle, mixed the BS eggs and salt properly, have had aeration on for 5 days!!!! I have little/no light on the setup, and no temperature control. Will these shrimp hatch? EVER?

Put a bright light above it and check again. If not you need to get the water to stay at around 80's I think or was it 90? The higher the temperature the faster it hatches. Oh and you will need to turn the aeration off and let the water sit until the eggs stop moving everywhere, just in case you didn't do that XD, but you probably did.

hmmm so how often should you turn off aeration and allow stillness? Is that the conditions under which they will hatch?

Wow I'm stupid I just left the bubbler off for a while, took a REALLY close look, and there they are: thousands of little shrimpies, soon to be food!

Now my problem is getting them into the dwarf puffer tank. . . . my net won't catch these little guys, but I've heard that they should be washed before sticking them into the freshwater tank. Any suggestions??

(confession: I took a small amount of the water they were hatched in, and put into the tank. . . the DPs LOVED it, ate em all up quickly (for the most part)

Oh yeah DP's Adore shrimp i had a figure eight puffer for a while had to get rid of him too big, he could eat an adult shrimp in one gulp, fed him freeze dried shrimp. He loved it.

DAN :)

Brine Shrimp lose a significant amount of value after 24 hours...so next time be sure to get them in there as soon as you notice them hatching.

I have read many many sights that say brine shrimp have less nutritional value after every hour.

Unless your puffers are hatchlings, those baby shrimp are way too small for them to eat.

A better choice for them is live adult brine shrimp, but only as a treat or to encourage them to eat if they are recalcitrant. BBS is great for tiny fry, tho, as Pufferpunk says.

Back
Top Bottom