live brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got a brine shrimp hatchery for christmas, and they have now hatched, about 300 off the little things swimming in there. I plan on feeding them to my guppy and platy fry. But i need to grow them a bit bigger. I want to know if they will be able to live long enough to grow them up. I sued premix salt mix and the sanfransisco bay hatchery. I added additional eggs aswell. Do i feed them something? I plan on keeping a fw because they are neat little creatures, lol. So, what should i do, should i feed them now while they are almost microscopic, or will it be ok to wait until they get bigger?

i dont know how long that little egg sac will last for feeding themselves. so you want them to grow a bit bigger?

feeding really crushed flakes might work.

please despite that we think of them as lesser creatures, it's still cruel to over populate their living space

If you plan on raising them, feed them yeast and flour. It is best to feed them to the fish ASAP for nutritional value. You can let them grow out, but you will want to 'gut load' them before feeding them to the fish.

How does raising brine shrimp for food work? They're raised in saltwater, right? Do they die in freshwater if they're not eaten right away? I read that they are high in fat content when they're first born, which is why they're a good food source for fry. What does raising them up longer do?

I have raised brine shrimp from egg to adult before. You will need good aeration, and a mortar and pestle to super grind food for them (flakes, flour yeast, dried egg yolk...). The hardest thing is changing the water in your raising vessel (a tall goldfish bowl would work nicely-filled halfway.

Back
Top Bottom