live food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaster999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi

can u feed live insects from the garden to the fish??

plzz reply

I don't recommend live food. It can introduce all kinds of harmful bacteria and other chemicals to the tank, but this is a somewhat debated topic.

I agree - the risk of introducing pesticides is too great. If you want to provide a live insect diet, look into getting some crickets or fruitfly cultures at your lfs.

There are certain foods you can culture at home, or use frozen foods such as brine shrimp or blood worms. What kind of fish do you have?

I've been meaning to ask about feeding fish fruit flies, I culture them every weeks 11 cultures for my frogs, some week I have them over produce would it be allright to feed a few to my danios?

I just fed my puffer a cricket for the first time a couple days ago... but it was from the lfs. they must have had a problem because there were a lot of them just jumping all over the store. so i picked one up. 8)

-brent

can you feed gouramis crickets

that are bought for lizards??????????

thanx

how about mollies? would the small crickets be too big? do you just drop them in live? do they float?

I got a TON of questions to this new concept

Ed

I would start small with live foods and go from there. Aside from the question of can the fish actually eat it, you need to consider the source of the live food.

if I buy the smallest crickets from the pet store, can I feed them to my mollies?
should I go smaller, like a worms or something?

I'd like to try live food for my mollies, just for fun as a treat

OR do you have to feed them live ALL the time once you start

Back
Top Bottom