live food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i was jus wondering, when the weather gets better i wanted to maybe give my fish some live food like earth worms, or other smaller insects, should i stray away from this or is it okay? i would only do this probably one a month

I think insects/worms are great for fish that would eat them in the wild.

They don't carry diseases of fish and since they can be had absolutely free, they are about the best source of live animal protein for my fish.

When I catch a moth in the house or see a worm in a rain puddle, they go right in my oscar tank.

i agree no more to add but letting you know you guys arent alone . when i get my JD hes getting worms and crickets

at my barn in the summer when i get bored i go out and catch grass hoppers in buckets. Do you think if i could feed them to my bichir? I am only concerned about htem having weed poisoning on them. We don't use it on the pastures but i wouldn't be suprised if other ppl near by did.

I'd avoid it if you think there could be poisons on them. Seems like a risk not worth taking. I feed mine worms and stuff, but my fish are small so I have to copthem up. lol. Kinda nasty but it gets the job done.

if you keep a bucket outside in some shade over the summer, you'll get mosquito larvae, bloodworms, and you could probally go get some daphnia from a lake or something.

(i stopped this because standing water creates too many mosquitos, and i couldnt handle them all)

In colorado beacuse of west nile your not supposed to have standing water...I wonder if fish can contract west nile?

Another thing to watch for, pesticides. If you are in an area where there's no spraying, etc, I think you would pretty much be safe. But if you are near any orchards, farm land, etc, where they do spray, then I'd say don't try it. All depends on what your area is like as to whether or not you can do live foods from your area.

Insects in the city would be a bad idea, they might have parasites or pestisides and such. From the stores it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom