Live food for Threadfin Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about trying to get an easily replenishable live food source going for my Threadfins (and my future spotted Blue Eyes, when I get them!). I've never fed live foods before, and the research I've done shows an overwhelming array of types available. Seems like baby brine shrimp are the correct size, but they sound like more of a pain than they're worth. Any suggestions? I'm space and tank limited, so it would have to be a live food that I can keep in a small set-up.... I know there are others on this forum who keep these rainbows, so I was hoping some of ya'll might have suggestions! Thanks!

Microworms would be simple and easy, though they are not an ideal daily food, being a bit high in fat. Great fry food though. You may be better off using frozen foods, which are simple and clean and variety is available.

You can also try to culture Moina, Dero worms and a number of other small critters, and the work involved depends on the beastie you want to feed. Flightless fruit flies are great food, both larvae and the flies, though they can hop and crawl, so a covered tank helps keep them in 'til they are eaten.

If you had microworms and some frozen foods, that would give the fish a nice varied diet and live food a couple of times a week, and the worms need only oatmeal to live on and bakers yeast to eat.

Thanks for the information! I like the thought of rotating types of foods over the week, so it sounds like microforms would be a good "treat." The Threadfins I have already readily accept NLS flake, and I'd like to keep that as part of their diet anyway. I will try to get some next time I'm at my LFS.

If you can't get microworms at a store, try Ebay, or Aquabid, or the buy/sell section of this or other forums, as many hobbyists sell cultures to each other. I have never seen them in a store but that does not mean there isn't one that has them.

Great! Thanks for all the info and the link. I didn't realize live foods were difficult to get at the LFS.

Frozen live foods are usually not too hard to get. But live ones, yes, often they are only available from other hobbyists or labs. It's very different from the days of early fish keeping, when every aquarist's big problem was feeding their fish, because man made fish food just did not exist. There are great books on how to collect and culture all sorts of live foods, but mostly they're older, since man made food changed the hobby dramatically.

Ha, that is quite a change! Now it's a situation of trying to find enough variety and quality to properly feed your stock. I must say, it seems much easier to be on this end of it though!

HI Aggie, hope you are well.
You are like me as we live in mosquito country. Here's a FREE way to get some great live food. Put about a one gallon shallow bowl/bucket with dechlorinated or rain water out on the porch/patio. Put it where it can get some sun and form algae inside. After several days look in and see wiggling mosquito larvae. Get a betta bulb or turkey baster and suck up the critters. Put them into a fine mesh fish net. Briefly rinse under tap. Swirl met into tank till larvae come out and watch the feast. You won't get alot, but they're free.
My tetras eliminate them in about 2 seconds. LOL
On a side note, your Aggies did a great job against Alabama. You may not have won but you gave them one really good game! The Razorbacks & Aggies play each other this Saturday. Since I like both teams, I'll be happy whoever wins. Welcome to the SEC. A&M is one great school. Good luck, OS.

HI Aggie, hope you are well.
You are like me as we live in mosquito country. Here's a FREE way to get some great live food. Put about a one gallon shallow bowl/bucket with dechlorinated or rain water out on the porch/patio. Put it where it can get some sun and form algae inside. After several days look in and see wiggling mosquito larvae. Get a betta bulb or turkey baster and suck up the critters. Put them into a fine mesh fish net. Briefly rinse under tap. Swirl met into tank till larvae come out and watch the feast. You won't get alot, but they're free.
My tetras eliminate them in about 2 seconds. LOL
On a side note, your Aggies did a great job against Alabama. You may not have won but you gave them one really good game! The Razorbacks & Aggies play each other this Saturday. Since I like both teams, I'll be happy whoever wins. Welcome to the SEC. A&M is one great school. Good luck, OS.

I may try that too, although I'm a little worried that the larvae will be too big for my threadfins' mouths. But free is always good... Heaven knows we get enough mosquitoes here.

Ha, the Alabama game was a good one. Pretty close for a lot of it. So far the Aggies are doing so much better in the SEC than I feared when we made the switch. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom