Live food - where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sometimes I can find small white garden worms in my garden and I've tried to grow brine shrimp but they never seem to get big enough for my fish to eat them. I've tried asking my lfs about live food and get less than ideal answers so I'm trying here.

For those that feed their fish live food, what kind and where did you get it? Is there an on-line source or did you do it through a lfs or even a bait shop? I know this may sound like a basic question, but I'm honestly curious.

hrm.. what are you looking for.. feeder fish like fatheads and the such ?

there are a lot of auctions on www.aquabid.com that sell feeder fish such as fatheads, shrimp, etc...

i dunno what exactly you are trying to feed, you can try getting some food from the butcher or seafood shop that is unseasoned and anything else that could possibly harm your fish.. like completely unprocessed shrimp and the such.

I've bought brine shrimp and blackworms from my LFS, never tried ordering online. If it is a total pain for you to get live food, you could just get frozen food and I'm sure your fish would be very happy to eat it. :D

I have live blackworms that I get from a pet store. It seems like all they need to live is refridgerator temp and clean water. Depending on how many worms and how much water will be the deciding factor as to how much you have to change it. If you have a lot in a small container, the water can get dirty in about 12-24 hours. That is how mine is. :(

I use to purchase live food such as brune shrimp, bloodworm and daphnia but i dont any more. I just got that from one of my local stores.

Most lfs should carry what you need. but there are a few really good sites online to get supplies

Does anyone know of a site (a UK one?) that might sell blackworms, whiteworms, mini-mealworms or grindal worms?

Back
Top Bottom