Live vs fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have artificial plants right now and am thinking about switching to real plants.

Which do you have and prefer? Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Real plants all the way. They look better, clean the water, and make the fish feel more comfortable. It does take some learning to get the care figured out, but it's not too bad. And it's only as complicated as you want to make it.

Fake plants.

Three reasons:
1 - I am lazy
2 - I keep fish that love to eat plants
3 - I hate snails

That being said, it is definitely a personal preference thing.

Jeta already nailed all the basic reasons why many of us here prefer planted tanks, but I'd also like to mention that live plants offer a completely different spin on having an aquarium because similarly to creating and maintaining any sort of terrestrial landscape or garden you really get the opportunity to learn the art of cultivation and aquascaping. Now there's nothing wrong with non-planted tanks, of course, but live plants simply offer you an additional avenue within this hobby that is really quite endless. Many of us will spend countless years attempting to master and develop this aquatic aesthetic, and for that we are thankful of the level of depth planted tanks offer.

I like both.

I like the easy low to mid light snail free gel packs which I start in a small aquarium and then move to the bigger one.

I like the faux plants for creating different looks. I change out the faux every 3 months, with the season changes.

Both have + and -

If you go with faux, watch out for the dirt catchers. Tiny leaves close together. They will mess up your water. Large leaf silk are best.

The silicone annemonies will need to be removed and spray cleaned ever 2 weeks. They build up biofilm which dulls the color and if you accidentally shake them in the tank you get a bunch of white flakes floating around. I put a cup in and put them in the cup and bring the cup out. Then spray the silicone real good. Then shake it upside down in prime water until I get no flakes. Then, I return it to the tank.

The cory love the silicone annemoies. The danio and gouramis like the silk. All like the real plants.

If deciding, I'd try both and see what works best for you.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

All good points. Thank you! I will consider switching to a planted tank, but I have to find out more caring for them.

Fake plants.

Three reasons:
1 - I am lazy
2 - I keep fish that love to eat plants
3 - I hate snails

That being said, it is definitely a personal preference thing.
Haha id say #2 is a good reason.

I like plants for the extra challenge (mainly trying to grow them faster than can be eaten).
Haha what fish do you guys have?

All good points. Thank you! I will consider switching to a planted tank, but I have to find out more caring for them.

What do you have for lighting? I'd just go get a Java Fern to start they grow anywhere lol.

Black mollies, rosy barbs, angels, loaches and bn catfish. I think they egg each other on :)
I suppose the angles go at them. I have a common pleco and he cleans the hair algae off them and doen't hurt the plants at all.

Real..... Unless it's my cichlid tanks, in which only java moss has managed to survive, and even then I had to remove it because my oscars in one tank, my flowerhorns in the other decided it was a good idea to shred it and spit it directly into my filter inlets until I gave in and removed it.
I find planted tanks are better at maintaining my variety of over stocking and plants provide a great supplemental food source for omnivorous and herbivorous livestock, provided you don't mind losing a few plants

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I suppose the angles go at them. I have a common pleco and he cleans the hair algae off them and doen't hurt the plants at all.

They do! I've added new plants and watched the angels shred them.. I keep hunting for ads for fish obedience training :) I think the catfish do the least damage but would love to put a camera on them overnight.

That would be so cool!!! ;) Great idea to patent. Micro chip fish cameras.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I'd definitely get one ?

My lighting is 120 volts, 20 watts, 60 hz. It's fluorescent and straight tubed.

I don't know much about planted tanks (I'm trying to decipher the basics), but from what I've read, I assume Anubis, Java moss, and Java fern will grow?

I didn't see what size tank you have.

IMHO planted all the way. It is not a lot of work, very easy. My tank is stable and cycled very quickly.

Depends on the fish you keep as well.

15 seconds to feed the plants daily.

It is subjective. Do you want a lush green garden to watch you fish swim through?

Living in Colorado, it's dry and not a lot of lush green foliage around. They are like house plants, only better.

Just one mans opinion....

36 gallon bowfront with rummynose and dark phantom tetras, harlequin rasboras, Cory cats, a betta, and I'll be adding African dwarf frogs soon

Is a co2 system necessary? I've read conflicting information on this

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412315218.863944.jpg
This is a snap shot of 9 months, I started with a basic fluorescent bulb and dosed it with Flourish comprehensive and Excel. I have since then upgraded to T5 bulbs and for a few months had a DIY CO2 set up.
Good luck with your set up!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom