Livebear ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it kinda resembles a Heterandria formosa but i dont think it is... im usually bad at ID'ing fish but i figured id give it s hot... it might be a mutt

on the last pic in the back the white fish looks like a female betta or a white molly..can't quite tell. I'm not too good at ID'ing fish either!!! The other fish look like gold barbs!!(without the prominent gold).

yeah i didnt even think of that. it def looks like a golden barb. but good luck cuz once again im gonna say dont quote me on it... hopefully someone who knows livebearers better will comment on this thread

Thanks rippin and bettagirl17 They are def not barbs and the fish bettagirl is a betta male he was a cull from a friends betta breedings. The fish In the forground is a goodeid just not sure what species.

Curtis

I agree that it looks like a Gold Barb. The body is too slender and long to be a livebearer such as a molly or platy.

To repeat krap101, what was it labeled as?

Any type of livebearer can easily be sexed by the shape of the anal fin. That one looks like a female; males have a gonopodium (smaller, different shape, used for internal fertilization) Just check a pic of a male molly or guppy, you'll see the difference.

Incidentally, most if not all livebearer females store sperm after mating, so if that one is mature, chances are it will produce fry sooner or later.

I am not 100% sure of the species I think they are barbs.

I also can usually sex the fish by the females they seem to be 'fatter' (rounded tummy) and often considerably bigger than the males.

I hope this helps somewhat

Back
Top Bottom