Loach and Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had any experience on loach and snails? I have 2 weather loach and I heard they eat snails but I have heard that they can't eat MTS due to their shell. But some sites have said that they eat MTS. Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone had any experience on loach and snails? I have 2 weather loach and I heard they eat snails but I have heard that they can't eat MTS due to their shell. But some sites have said that they eat MTS. Can anyone confirm this?

I was told the can and will eat MTS, though since MTS spend most of their time within the substrate they are less likely to be seen by the loaches. I have nerite snails with my clown loaches, striata loach and angelicus loach and I haven't lost any because they have thicker shells than most snails and its unlikely that our loaches would be able to get though it. That being said, my loaches do try to get them though and every morning I have to turn back over one or two of my snails due to my loaches trying to get to them. Mine really try to get the tiger nerites but tend to leave the striped and olive horned nerites alone so maybe trying an all horned snail population would be a good option

My local pet shop only sell Apple Snails so I can't really get my hands on any other snails. I only saw a sale on eBay that sell MTS and they only live a 1 hour drive away.

My local pet shop only sell Apple Snails so I can't really get my hands on any other snails. I only saw a sale on eBay that sell MTS and they only live a 1 hour drive away.

I bought my nerite snails on eBay, snails ship pretty well. The only snails sold around me are mystery snails. The seller I bought my nerites from is livekoiforsalecom, they're really good. You could also try something like aquabid

Does the Nerite bury itself under the sand? I'm looking for a snail that explores under the sand to rid all the waste under there.

Does anyone know what snail this is? My local pet shop got it brought in by a customer and they don't know what type of snail it is.

image-3697010315.jpg

So they only go in tanks with a heater or can they go in a tank without a heater?

Hmm well I have a loach, what would be the best bet to go with? Nerite or MTS?

I really really love my mystery snails but in total honesty if I had researched more before getting them, I would not have gotten them. If for any reason I need to treat the tank with meds about 99% of meds are not snail safe so I have to take them out into a bowl while I treat.

Hmm well I have a loach, what would be the best bet to go with? Nerite or MTS?

Not mystery snails for sure, the stick out farther from their shells making them easy targets for loaches. As for MTS or Nerite, that's your call. Loaches will probably eat some MTS but since they burrow and breed in freshwater it would probably balance out, but know if you put MTS in your tank you will Always have them in the tank. Nerites don't breed in freshwater or burrow, but they do have better defenses against loaches

Well I asked my local pet shop if my tank got over run with MTS, would they like some of them to sell. But I could always get a Nerite just hope they are quite big.

Back
Top Bottom