Loach jumped into bio wheel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
My heart is still pounding right now. I was sitting at the computer typing, when I hear a huge splash from my Eclipse tank. I lean over to look in and examine the situation more closely, and only two loaches come up to greet me. All three of them ALWAYS come over to the glass whenever I look inside. I start freaking out and lift the lid to look on the filter pad- nothing. The biowheel is still turning, everything looks normal. I unplug the filter, lift out the bio wheel, and sure enough the missing guy is flopping around in there! I try to pick him out with my hand, but he is flopping around way too much, and I'm shaking too, and then he manages to flop right out the opening for the filter flow, back into the tank.

Poor little guy must have been so scared, having the bio wheel turning on top of him. He seems perfectly fine now, although was a little disoriented when he first went back in the water. I just wanted to relate this story because I am the only person home right now, and it had me totally panicked. Has anyone else ever had a situation similar to this occur? Was it silly of me to almost have a heart attack?

I haven't had many fish jump out of tanks. One suicidal zebra danio jumped out of a temporary bucket while I was cleaning and flopped his way across the counter to the stove, but other than that.. :p

I've heard most loaches are escape artists, but I'm surprised he got into the eclipse system's filter.

haha, i actually thought of that, but it wasn't a very successful attempt there, as his entire body wasn't even enough to stop the biowheel. i'm sure glad he's okay!

and ferret, i was surprised too. the loaches love swimming up against the current of the filter, they do this for extended periods of time. i've been looking at the tank some more, and realized that it would have been impossible for him to jump into the compartment with the biowheel when the lid is down. so what actually must have happened is that he swam against the incredibly strong current into the area where the water comes out. but then i'm not sure what the splash was... who knows what these fish do when we're not looking? i just hope he's learned his lesson and won't try it again.

Catalina I know how you feel. Last week my Dwarf Gourami decided to fly out of the tank when I slid the glass open. Turned to get something and felt a thud at my feet. I looked down in shock. I could not believe my eyes, but all is well with him now. Crabs are next on the wish list and I guess from what I hear they are the real escape artists of the aquarium world.

is this a clown loach you're referring to?

i have three of them and i'm kinda worried about them jumping around when i build my new tank. they haven't done any jumping in the current tank, though i have all extra gaps in the hood covered.

i think the only thing i ve ever had jump in the filter..and out of the tank is my 8" pleco and thankfully he survived both suicidal attemps :lol:

haha, Allivymar, that diagram is the cutest thing ever! and yup, that's EXACTLY what happened with my guy. but their loach did it again! so much for learning a lesson. thanks for linking me.

and yes, Mr Burns, he's a clown loach. i just realized that i didn't specify. however, it turns out he didn't jump, but swam up the tray where the water flows out of the filter.

nemokeeper said:
Crabs are next on the wish list and I guess from what I hear they are the real escape artists of the aquarium world.

Oh yes they are.

Even with a tightfitting lid, carved tightly around the filter so there was no chance for escape, I still find them in my Penguine 170 from time to time.

Also, I had a female get out on me once. She was out for the entire day, donno how she got out, but I found her the next day.. I was sitting in the computer chair and I fet something against my foot, I look down and theres my crab looking back up at me! Almost as if she was saying " Hey, you. Big ugly monster! take me back home!!! " 8O 8O 8O

yeah when i heard this i immediately thought NEMO!! lol so hes ok now right?

and Ferret-- my zebra danio did the same thing (well i have 5) but anyway i was transferring them into another tank and had them in a bowl in the bathroom... i went in to check on them and noticed there were only 4 in the bowl... one was in the SINK.. and i dont know how long he had been outta water (like 5-10 minutes TOPS)... anyway he is still alive and doing well.. they never try and jump outta the tank tho i guess after they saw his suicide attempt....

Back
Top Bottom