Loach Lovers Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, my username is sinibotia, and I have a loach problem.

I got two clown loaches when I was 10 or 11, ignorant to their needs, and soon got a 55 gallon and 150 gallon tank to house them because they were so much fun and couldnt part with them. Since then I have kept loaches from every major group- almost all of the "botia" loaches, serpentine loaches like various kuhli and weather loaches, hillstream loaches, and rare loaches like species from sinibotia and schistura. I even have possibly the only modern book written on them. Without hesitation I can say they are my favorite group of fish.

Seems like there are a lot of other people with a loach "problem" on this site, and since we can't have a whole section for them, I thought we should at least have a thread for talking about these massively under-appreciated fish.

So yeah, talk about your loaches, show off pictures, ask about the best setups and tankmates for them, I dunno!

Right now I only have 4 kuhli loaches (black kuhlis, pangio oblonga). But when my fiance and I set up our wedding-gift 55 gallon we're going to get some angelicus loaches or some zebra loaches. And my ultimate "dream fish tank" is a massive tank with 12+ massive clown loaches.

Loaches are one fish I've never really tried sadly, I love them but they have never really worked with my setup.

So my question is this - What's the best way to make Kuhlis feel at home with a sand setup?

Also, do they dig around in sand? I use black diamond which is far from my favorite substrate for bottom dwelling fish, I've gotten slivers in MY hand from cleaning it and I could only imagine what would happen to a fish diggin around in it.

Loaches are one fish I've never really tried sadly, I love them but they have never really worked with my setup.

So my question is this - What's the best way to make Kuhlis feel at home with a sand setup?

Also, do they dig around in sand? I use black diamond which is far from my favorite substrate for bottom dwelling fish, I've gotten slivers in MY hand from cleaning it and I could only imagine what would happen to a fish diggin around in it.

I've found they actually seem to prefer a sand setup. I only just started using sand as a substrate (when I started fishkeeping again back in August) but my kuhlis in the 29 gallon with sand seemed happier than any of my past kuhlis- and the one that was moved from a tank with gravel also seemed much happier. This is all play sand though.

Honestly what you describe with black diamond sand is exactly why I tend not to use it. The aesthetics are great but I wouldn't trust it with kuhli loaches with how much they love to dig. And believe me, they will dig in anything. The kuhlis in our 29 with sand have dug a connected system of caves and tunnels under our rockwork. They'll go into a hole under the rock in one place and then pop out in another.

On the other hand, aquarium gravel isn't the smoothest, but my kuhlis have dug in it with no apparent issues. So I suppose it's something you could try out.

I've found they actually seem to prefer a sand setup. I only just started using sand as a substrate (when I started fishkeeping again back in August) but my kuhlis in the 29 gallon with sand seemed happier than any of my past kuhlis- and the one that was moved from a tank with gravel also seemed much happier. This is all play sand though.

Honestly what you describe with black diamond sand is exactly why I tend not to use it. The aesthetics are great but I wouldn't trust it with kuhli loaches with how much they love to dig. And believe me, they will dig in anything. The kuhlis in our 29 with sand have dug a connected system of caves and tunnels under our rockwork. They'll go into a hole under the rock in one place and then pop out in another.

On the other hand, aquarium gravel isn't the smoothest, but my kuhlis have dug in it with no apparent issues. So I suppose it's something you could try out.

So no dirted tank either for kuhlis? I am looking to buy fish for my freshwater tank here fairly soon. The only fish I've bought for it in the past year is a blue gourami and a RTS.

So no dirted tank either for kuhlis? I am looking to buy fish for my freshwater tank here fairly soon. The only fish I've bought for it in the past year is a blue gourami and a RTS.

I don't see why a dirted tank wouldn't work. As long as the substrate isn't too sharp they'll be happy enough in anything.

I don't see why a dirted tank wouldn't work. As long as the substrate isn't too sharp they'll be happy enough in anything.

I knew you would make this thread eventually ;)

Mebbid, as long as they have plenty of hiding places, because Kuhli are very shy, and a smooth substrate they will be fine. Sand is the best but I've seen people get away with small smooth gravel.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ohh and I looked up the Sinibotia species!

Very cool little dudes. I'm going to get a big tank one day for just loaches. They are so fun.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ohh and I looked up the Sinibotia species!

Very cool little dudes. I'm going to get a big tank one day for just loaches. They are so fun.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah, it's a shame they're so ridiculously hard to find. If I had a tank I could justify putting them in, and enough money, I would get some- Wet Spot had them the other day but now they're gone :(

Yeah, it's a shame they're so ridiculously hard to find. If I had a tank I could justify putting them in, and enough money, I would get some- Wet Spot had them the other day but now they're gone :(

I know I wish they were more widespread us know. There's only Angelicus, Kuhli, dojo, and clowns sold in my area. Which we had mor species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I know I wish they were more widespread us know. There's only Angelicus, Kuhli, dojo, and clowns sold in my area. Which we had mor species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I wish that a lot of these odd species of fish would breed readily in aquaria. It would be easier to get them.

I have been debating getting some loaches, particularly kuhlis but my half banded spiny eel is pretty much a big kuhli loach, so maybe Botha loaches

You could probably do a school of any of the mid-sized botia loaches- botia dario, botia kubotai, botia almorhae, botia rostrata or botia striata.

My wife thinks their ugly therefore I'm forbidden from experiencing the loach love. :(

I think if my fiance said that I might literally have to call off the engagement :lol: luckily she adores our little kuhli loaches. The rest of her family hates them because they "look like snakes".

Happy wife = Happy life

She's accepting of my fish obsession, and often picks out fish herself. She does the whole "looks like snakes" thing too. Are there bright colorful variations? Maybe that could persuade her haha

If my wife doesn't like my loaches there will be no happy life :lol:

Happy wife = Happy life

She's accepting of my fish obsession, and often picks out fish herself. She does the whole "looks like snakes" thing too. Are there bright colorful variations? Maybe that could persuade her haha

Try showing her adult forms of some of the loaches with cool patterns, like kubotai or dario.
Botia-kubotai-adult-female.jpg

Botia-striata-adult.jpg

You'll never, ever find them but heck, try showing her a picture of an emperor botia, botia udomritthiruji.
botia_udomritthiruji_x.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a question... I'm at a loss here. My 36g tank currently houses 5 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, 1dwarf gourami, 3 rosy barb(they shoal with tigers), and 3 black kuhli. This tank had 3 regular kuhli as well. All bought at the same store. The 3 regular kuhlis have died in the last week. This is my first deaths in over 6 months in this tank. All params are perfect. Everybody else is doing great. What's going on??

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

So I have a question... I'm at a loss here. My 36g tank currently houses 5 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, 1dwarf gourami, 3 rosy barb(they shoal with tigers), and 3 black kuhli. This tank had 3 regular kuhli as well. All bought at the same store. The 3 regular kuhlis have died in the last week. This is my first deaths in over 6 months in this tank. All params are perfect. Everybody else is doing great. What's going on??

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
3g betta

Any particular symptoms on the kuhlis? Water quality, etc? They tend to be highly prone to internal parasites and to external infections. Otherwise, it's really hard to say without knowing more.

Any particular symptoms on the kuhlis? Water quality, etc? They tend to be highly prone to internal parasites and to external infections. Otherwise, it's really hard to say without knowing more.

Literally perfect water. (Imo) ph 6.5 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 ppm

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
3g betta

Back
Top Bottom