Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Loaches

Hello there everybody. I was curious, if I put let's say 3 clown loaches and 3 zebra loaches. (maybe red tail Botia) haven't decided yet. In a 75 gallon. Would the two types still school with eachother? Brcause i heard 6 was a good number of loaches to have Stupid question but they are the sane exact fish aside from color. Let me know what u think. Thanks a lot!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

they will all be on the bottom and swim together but they would interact more if more of the simlar species exist.

your tank is plenty big, so you can start out with 3/3 but later maybe move to 5/3 that would make them happier. The reason I say this, is because eventually one of the clown loaches will get bigger than the others and he will 'run the show'. the zebras will basically 'tag along' for the ride. Clown loaches are so goofy when in a school. make sure you have places fro them to hide and go in like a fake log. and live plants.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

You know I really hate how clown loaches and yoyos and zebras are all more popular than kuhlis when kuhlis are a GREAT species the stay out of the way, can live with almost any species, clean gravel and decor and are amazing to watch! The only bad things are they can dissapear for months in the gravel and eat algae wafers, which isn't a problem for most because plecos eat them too. And if you have 6+ kuhlis you will see them much more and will be more willing to come out and play with their species!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach View Post
You know I really hate how clown loaches and yoyos and zebras are all more popular than kuhlis when kuhlis are a GREAT species the stay out of the way, can live with almost any species, clean gravel and decor and are amazing to watch! The only bad things are they can dissapear for months in the gravel and eat algae wafers, which isn't a problem for most because plecos eat them too. And if you have 6+ kuhlis you will see them much more and will be more willing to come out and play with their species!
*I mean they stay out of the way of bigger fishes...*
Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clown loaches will (slowly) outgrow a 75, and different species won't school together. Red tail botia's are rather aggressive, even toward other species IME. Personally I prefer the kubotai botias, have 10 in my 125. They don't grow too large for a 4' tank, interact with each other but don't hassle other species like red tail or yoyo's do. Also develop a more intricate and attractive pattern as they grow/mature. Clown loaches in particular lose the vibrant colors as they get larger, eventually look washed out.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach
I have three in my 25 gallon they are beautiful I plan on getting more. I also have some yoyos very cool to
Old 10-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka
Clown loaches will (slowly) outgrow a 75, and different species won't school together. Red tail botia's are rather aggressive, even toward other species IME. Personally I prefer the kubotai botias, have 10 in my 125. They don't grow too large for a 4' tank, interact with each other but don't hassle other species like red tail or yoyo's do. Also develop a more intricate and attractive pattern as they grow/mature. Clown loaches in particular lose the vibrant colors as they get larger, eventually look washed out.
We just got 3 kubitai botia's and just love them. We will probably get 2 or 3 more.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oops! Just got 2 not 3.......

Tags
loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com