Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a 30 gallon aquarium and am considering trying my luck with a group of loaches. There will also be some cories, and since zebra loaches are territorial, that leaves them out. Obviously, clown and dojo loaches will be to big. I was wondering what you'll think of Kuhli and Dwarf loaches? I am interested in the Kuhli most because I hear they have a personality, but I've also heard they try to escape a lot and also try to squeeze into the filter intake. I don't want ANY fish with suicidal tendencies so what are youll's thoughts? Ever have trouble with Kuhli's staying in? Are they good? Are Dwarfs better? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My mom has always kept Kuhlis and loves them! They are playful and fun to watch explore. Helps to keep them in groups of at least 5 otherwise they will hide most often. I don't recall and escape issues. You have to check on them every couple of days if you haven't been able to account for all of them, because if they die while hiding, it can poison your tank.

I'm going to pick up 5 for my tank this weekend. It's a newer set up and I really want to try them myself.

My mom has always kept Kuhlis and loves them! They are playful and fun to watch explore. Helps to keep them in groups of at least 5 otherwise they will hide most often. I don't recall and escape issues. You have to check on them every couple of days if you haven't been able to account for all of them, because if they die while hiding, it can poison your tank.

I'm going to pick up 5 for my tank this weekend. It's a newer set up and I really want to try them myself.

Alright that helps some, everywhere I've seen says their great... Then comes along a site that says they always try to sneak out of the tank and swim up the filter and I'm just like, NO. Lol, I had amino shrimp once and as soon as I found out they where known for strolling around the house I duct taped that aquarium! Lol, I want my fish in the water! So you'll would agree they are good in community tanks and have character then? I like funny fish

They do have a reputation of getting into difficult spaces, so you can't really rule it out. That said, I never had any get anywhere they didn't belong. If you give them adequate tunnels and things to go under, they are usually less likely to invent their own hiding places.
By the way, I would not consider zebra loaches to be any sort of territorial, but they are a bit rambunctious and I feel that loaches of that size and energy level do belong in bigger tank anyways. So, still aim at smaller loaches. I am just trying to pass along accurate info. I have kept zebras for years. Before that, I kept kuhlis for a few years. They are great little fish. You need a group, and places for them to hide so they can feel comfortable coming out. They are quite nocturnal, and some people never see them after purchase. Though, I would say that most people see theirs at least a decent amount. They are usually recommended for a slightly mature tank. Once they settle in, they tend to be quite hardy IME. Just, make sure you have lots of places for them to go. I used to set up pieces of decor with a bit of a tunnel under them so the kuhlis could get down there easily, and bigger fish didn't fit. It seemed to be their preference.
By dwarf loaches, do you mean the dwarf chain loach? They are pretty adorable too. So, either that you want should be fine.

They do have a reputation of getting into difficult spaces, so you can't really rule it out. That said, I never had any get anywhere they didn't belong. If you give them adequate tunnels and things to go under, they are usually less likely to invent their own hiding places.
By the way, I would not consider zebra loaches to be any sort of territorial, but they are a bit rambunctious and I feel that loaches of that size and energy level do belong in bigger tank anyways. So, still aim at smaller loaches. I am just trying to pass along accurate info. I have kept zebras for years. Before that, I kept kuhlis for a few years. They are great little fish. You need a group, and places for them to hide so they can feel comfortable coming out. They are quite nocturnal, and some people never see them after purchase. Though, I would say that most people see theirs at least a decent amount. They are usually recommended for a slightly mature tank. Once they settle in, they tend to be quite hardy IME. Just, make sure you have lots of places for them to go. I used to set up pieces of decor with a bit of a tunnel under them so the kuhlis could get down there easily, and bigger fish didn't fit. It seemed to be their preference.
By dwarf loaches, do you mean the dwarf chain loach? They are pretty adorable too. So, either that you want should be fine.

Awesome, my tank has tons of places they can hide! And yes, I was meaning the dwarf chain loaches, I like them both but I really like the Kuhli because of their long skinny bodies, I don't have any fish like that in my tank. I'll defiantly be sure to add them last once the tank has settled.

I have always had Kuhlis for 6+ years, I never had problem with them escaping or going into the filter.

One fact I did learn ...the larger the group the better. Mine always hid in the day time until I had 10 of them. Then they felt secure enough to be out of hiding all the time. They were constantly swimming all over the place . With that being said, the draw back I had with the constant swimming is it made my black neon tetras and pea puffer very nervous. I had to move them to a more serene tank with not a lot of commotion.

I have always had Kuhlis for 6+ years, I never had problem with them escaping or going into the filter.

One fact I did learn ...the larger the group the better. Mine always hid in the day time until I had 10 of them. Then they felt secure enough to be out of hiding all the time. They were constantly swimming all over the place . With that being said, the draw back I had with the constant swimming is it made my black neon tetras and pea puffer very nervous. I had to move them to a more serene tank with not a lot of commotion.

Awesome. I was only going to get about 5 for my 30 gallon but if I need to get more I can. I have texas holy rock in that tank, will they love it or get stuck in it?

Mine are a real joy to watch, they are like little clowns. I have a small building decoration and they use the door...funniest thing to watch. They love going in and out of things.

I have never had texas holy rock...but I think they would love it.

my tank has a lot of scaleless fish...I put in 1/2 dose with every water change and I never had a problem. I also have never had any ill fish either and my tanks have been running 7 years...knock on wood as they say. My fish die of old age.

I've never kept Khulis myself, but I've always wanted to. I do have a big school of Dwarf Chain Loaches in my 75g though. They are the total clowns of the tank and are most active in the morning and early evening. They never hide (though this may be because I have 10 of them), but they do tend to be rather snoozy around mid day. They are much pricier than the Khulis however, but well worth it for their fun and antics.

I'm looking for the same thing, like mini clowns? I have a 150g tank but its only 4' x 2' so idk if clowns would be ok or not. There's yoyo loches and zebra loaches and dojo loaches but idk much about all of them.

A group of clown loaches would take up nearly all the bioload space in the 150g, so Id go with Yoyos or Zebras if you want similar look and personality but smaller. Dwarf chain loaches also would have similar look and personality, but are even smaller than the Yoyos and Zebras. Dojos are fun, but have a totally different look and are illegal to keep in some states.

A group of clown loaches would take up nearly all the bioload space in the 150g, so Id go with Yoyos or Zebras if you want similar look and personality but smaller. Dwarf chain loaches also would have similar look and personality, but are even smaller than the Yoyos and Zebras. Dojos are fun, but have a totally different look and are illegal to keep in some states.
Ok thats what I was thinking.

Bioload space? I've never really understood that like AQ advisors says I can have like 100 fish like 50 danios and barbs and rasboras would only put me at like 60% stocking but then as soon as you put in 6 clowns it says your over stocked, like there not going to ALL grow to 14" in an aquarium.

Ok thats what I was thinking.

Bioload space? I've never really understood that like AQ advisors says I can have like 100 fish like 50 danios and barbs and rasboras would only put me at like 60% stocking but then as soon as you put in 6 clowns it says your over stocked, like there not going to ALL grow to 14" in an aquarium.

This is one reason why the inch per gallon rule of thumb for stocking doesn't work. It's not just length you have to think about... Loaches are very fat little buggers :) Barbs and danios are much thinner on top of being shorter in length and generate far less waste than a clown loach, so you can pack waaaay more of them in there. Fourteen danios don't generate anywhere near as much waste as one 14" clown loach.

This is one reason why the inch per gallon rule of thumb for stocking doesn't work. It's not just length you have to think about... Loaches are very fat little buggers :) Barbs and danios are much thinner on top of being shorter in length and generate far less waste than a clown loach, so you can pack waaaay more of them in there. Fourteen danios don't generate anywhere near as much waste as one 14" clown loach.
Hmm I knew plecos and gold fish were dirty but not clowns? Yeah 1 big fish is certainly way heavier than 14 little ones but does it eat more? Seems to me that it would be about the same?

Hmm I knew plecos and gold fish were dirty but not clowns? Yeah 1 big fish is certainly way heavier than 14 little ones but does it eat more? Seems to me that it would be about the same?

Any wide bodied fish eats more. They have more body mass that needs to be fed. Simple science :)

I never knew they where illegal in some states, thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom