Loaches - Clowns and Red Tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking to get a shoal of 5 Clown Loaches and am curious to know if I can add 1 or 2 Red Tailed Loaches to the shoal or if it is preferred that they be in a group of 5+ of their own species? I would definitely like to hear from anyone who has experience with the two being in the same tank together. Thanks!

Clown loaches shouldn't be in anything less than 150 gallons, with a preferably large footprint. Please do research and don't put them in anything less than a 150 gallon tank, and bigger is always better.

Clown loaches shouldn't be in anything less than 150 gallons, with a preferably large footprint. Please do research and don't put them in anything less than a 150 gallon tank, and bigger is always better.

If it's the 75g on your page (I'm on mobile) then you will eventually need to upgrade to accommodate the clowns. They can grow up to 14 inches each and live for many years compared to other fish. Luckily, because of their life span they grow very slowly so you have time to upgrade. I agree with Nils.

Caleb

No, I'm fully aware that my 75g is far too small for them which is why the fish, decor, etc. will be getting moved into a new 240g tank which is when I will be adding the clowns, so the tank size will no longer be an issue. I am just curious that if I get 5-6 clowns, can I get away with getting only 1 or 2 redtail loaches to group with them or if they prefer to be in a shoal of 5+ of their own kind?

No, I'm fully aware that my 75g is far too small for them which is why the fish, decor, etc. will be getting moved into a new 240g tank which is when I will be adding the clowns, so the tank size will no longer be an issue. I am just curious that if I get 5-6 clowns, can I get away with getting only 1 or 2 redtail loaches to group with them or if they prefer to be in a shoal of 5+ of their own kind?

Almost all loaches I can think of except for a few aggressive riverine species do better the bigger the group gets. So to answer your question, the more the merrier.

That's great you have an upgrade plan.

Caleb

Almost all loaches I can think of except for a few aggressive riverine species do better the bigger the group gets. So to answer your question, the more the merrier.

That's great you have an upgrade plan.

Caleb

Yeah, I've wanted clowns ever since I got this tank but chose not to get them due to the fact that I would have to re-home them some day when they got too big. Now I'm finally in a position to get a very large tank to house them.

Back
Top Bottom