Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

loaches= deep 6

I can not keep loaches alive. I really like them. Bala Sharks either. Other than the lack of scales I can't think of why they are dying. Usually to ick. I have my tank at 78 degrees.
Also, I get water droplets on the underside of my tank cover. Is that from the water heat?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe it's a Missouri thing. I'm in St. Louis. My zebra loach committed suicide tonight for no apparent reason. Bottom feeders jumping out? Whatever.

Sorry for your loss.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe if I pronounced it Missourah, they would live.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The droplets on the underside of the lid are from the water vapor rising from the tank and hitting the relatively cool tank lid. This is the same as the condensation that develops on the side of a cold, umm lets say soft drink, on a warm summer day.

What is your water temperature doing after water changes?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I do have one other loach, the yoyo. Fingers crossed he doesn't know what state he lives in.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
In order to treat ich, the heat method works the best. Turn temps up to 87F slowly and keep the temp there for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Loaches are prone to ich I swear. Also add aeration to the water when temps are up. Hopefully if you try them again in the future this will help.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Isn't salt also recommended with the high temp method of treating ich?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparKy697
What is your water temperature doing after water changes?
I make sure the water is the same temp before adding it back to the tank.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
Loaches are prone to ich I swear
For sure, and they're difficult to cure from it as well unfortunately. They don't tolerate swings in temp, don't like high temps, and medication is usually a Bad Thing (TM) for them because they are scaleless.
They are also intolerant to (aquarium) salt.

Just be super careful using the heat treatment method. Add salt if you must, but I'd halve the normal recommended dose for ich treatment.

I also highly recommend EsHA Exit Anti-Whitespot/Velvet treatment. This is specifically designed with scaleless fish in mind, so no worrying about dosage levels or killing your fish in any attempt to help them like you might with other meds!

If you raise the temp, btw, then always add an extra airstone when it comes to a tank with loaches in...
The Puffer Forum: http://www.thepufferforum.com | The Cichlid Forum: http://www.cichlid-forum.com | Cichlid Room Companion Forum: http://www.cichlidae.com | Planet Catfish: http://www.planetcatfish.com | PlecoFanatics: http://www.plecofanatics.com | Gobioid Research Institite: http://www.gobiidae.com | Fishbase.org: http://www.fishbase.org
-------------------------------------------------------
36 Gal: Malawi Cichlids | 36 Gal: Brackish Puffer | 58 Gal: FW Community | 20 Gal: FW RTBS Shark | 10 Gal: FW Breeder
Spares: 20 Gal: Former River Conditions | 8 Gal: Former Fry Tank | 32G: Former Community Tank
coldmachineUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe I missed it but what size tank are these fish in? What type of loaches? If they are Clown loaches they need to be in a very large tank (minimum 120 gln. as they mature) as do Bala sharks since they are so high-strung and get large also. Both of those also need to be in shoals of at least three fish to be really happy. Most loaches need several others of their kind to be healthy and happy. I am wondering if you have them in too small of a tank and without companions? That could lead to stress very quickly and cause the issues above.
I also agree that raising the temp and holding it there is the best solution for Ick.

Tags
loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com