Lobster Fail!! Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scrapdaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently added a Ghost White Lobster to my 60G and he was great until this morning. I did not see him and got my mini mag-lite and found him upside down in his cave. He moved a bit, so I am not sure if this is normal or not.
He did not look like the cichlids got to him, as I moved the rock around him- he just... Stopped. Is he about to molt? On his back does not seem right. The pair of cichlids just had fry, and they and the fry look great and are eating!
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Scrapdaddy said:
Recently added a Ghost White Lobster to my 60G and he was great until this morning. I did not see him and got my mini mag-lite and found him upside down in his cave. He moved a bit, so I am not sure if this is normal or not.
He did not look like the cichlids got to him, as I moved the rock around him- he just... Stopped. Is he about to molt? On his back does not seem right. The pair of cichlids just had fry, and they and the fry look great and are eating!
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Do u know what your water parameters are? Maybe something is off...

Yeah, what are your parameters? Tank mates? Did you acclimate the lobster properly, or just drop it in?

It is a 60G freshwater. Tank mates are a mated pair of hypsophrys nicaraguensis that have their fourth brood. The only other inhabitant is a Pleco. Temp maintained at 81 degrees F by Fluval in tank. Not sure about Ph. Lots of Anachris growing and floating. Emperor 350 on back, and a powerhead flowing 50gph and bubbling. The substrate is a medium gravel the Nicos love to dig up and lots of rocks for retreat and seclusion. Everyone but the lobster looks great!

It's nice to be able to get immediate readings whenever an issue comes up with a tank. Be sure to get the API master kit, not strips. (y)

Thank you all for the rapid responses. The Ghost has shuffled off this mortal coil. I just checked his cave again and he was still on his back and no movement.
I will leave the tank as is with current residents and get that kit to check the water.
Thank you again!

I'm sorry about your cray. Crays are usually really hardy. Your temp is a little warm for them, but that certainly wouldn't cause a quick death, it would just multiply the rate at which they molt and shorten the lifespan. They thrive best at a pH of 7.0 or higher. I'm not sure how long you've had the cray in there but since you said recently, I'm assuming it was an unhealthy cray to begin with, or was damaged by the fish, as crays are probably the hardiest aquatic pet I've ever kept. I once had four crays shipped to me and they ended up getting mis-routed and spent 8 days in transit. When I received the box, they were all fine, and they weren't even in breather bags. If you get a healthy specimen to start with, little should part you with them other than large fish and old age.

Thank you for the information. I am going to wait until this batch of fry grows to some size and then get another Cray. I really like the variety of coloration on them, as I had a Cobalt Blue in the last incarnation of the 60. Awesome tank mates!

Back
Top Bottom