Lobsters what to feed them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_are_family

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:?: I have four lobster that I recieved about a month ago and I have no idea what to feed them :? They are getting really big and seem to be doing ok, but I feel like I am supposed to be feeding them something that I am not. There are other fish in the tank with them and they all seem to get along well. When I feed the fish any of their food that floats down to the bottom the lobsters eat. I also have these algae discs and they absolutely love them but they make the water so cloudy that I am looking for something else to feed them. The question is what? :?

If there is anybody who can help me I would really appreciate it? [/b]

Lobsters, if I'm not mistaken, will eat anything off the bottom.

Shrimp Pellets, Algae Wafers, Dead Fish, Food that others didn't eat,ect ect

Hikari Algae Waffers won't cloud your tank ;)

Thank you very much I will look into getting some different algae waffers and maybe some other things for them to eat. They always seem hungry! :D

What other fish do you have with your lobsters? I want lobstes so badly but I when I started my tank I thought they were salt water and set up my tank and now that I have fish that arent compatible I found out that lobsters are freshwater.

it's it a lobster or a crawdad? I know at the LFS they have my crawdad listed as a blue lobster.

Most true lobsters are salt water. That being said, there are a number of crustaceans which resemble lobsters (mostly crawdads aka crawfish aka crayfish as Megalofyia said) pretty strongly which survive well in FW aquariums. There is also one freshwater lobster; its not normally found in home aquaria as its a really big bugger (5 kilograms and 80 cm long) and is endangered (its found in Tasmania; called the Giant Freshwater Lobster aka Astacopsis gouldi)

I feed my crayfish (blue crayfish: Procambarus clarkii) algae wafers, and was recommended to do so by a breeder. I have the Wardley "Spirulina Discs" which have never clouded up my tank.

I would stay away from shrimp pellets. I had three crawdads in my tank for a couple of months and they seemed to be very happy. I picked up some shrimp pellets for my loaches and the crawdads loved them so i would feed them pellets all the time after about 2 weeks all of the mud bugs died within a couple days of each other. I checked the water and everything looked good. so I'm going to guess and say it had something to do with the shrimp pellets.

Back
Top Bottom