Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2003, 06:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Never have I seen my LFS exhibit these gross prices. Sure he is a little higher on tanks and stands, because he doesn't sell in bulk. However his hardgoods are quite competitive. And it seems every time I buy a fish or coral, I come home and check marinedepotlive.com or liveaquaria.com, and his prices are +/- $2, and that is not counting of course the ludicrous shipping charges for shipping live animals from these sites. So, maybe I am just lucky, but, long live the LFS!!!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:55 PM   #12

Support the LFS? well lets see, out of a possible 5 here that I could shop at, there is only 1 that does not price gouge. And when I mean price gouge, they don't even give you a kiss afterwards....I will support the one... The rest is online all the way...
Old 12-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, lets face it. The LFS makes most of its profit by selling to folks who have neither the inclination or experience to know what they are looking for and probably not by selling to more serious hobbiest such as you'll find at this forum.

Yes, I buy online for hardware and save quite a few bucks. But if you've ever been in business for yourself, you understand the huge impact that overhead and financing has on any business, and the little guy has to try to get it back somehow. Maybe they aren't rippin us off, but just trying to stay alive! I still maintain we should try to help them if their price is decent.

Tags
local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com