Local pond fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I caught this fish at my local pond, I caught a crappie as well. Sadly, I fell asleep and the crappie died from lack of oxygen. This one survived and I believe it is a species of sunfish. Another ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• image-684488951.jpg
    image-684488951.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2855235153.jpg
    image-2855235153.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image-87376607.jpg
    image-87376607.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 110
That is a dollar sunfish. What size tank is he in?
Be careful when keeping native fish like that. Usually to do it you need both a fishing license and a license to import native animals.

Yeah it is to big for a 10gal but they make great inhabitants when put in a native type setup with larger aquariums.

I wanted to see its reaction to being kept in a aquarium. So far so good, so I will put it in a 20 tall this weekend.

Oh, if I go with a native tank. Have anyone of you ever owned one. I have a 20 gallon long, but the inhabitants are under 3 inches. Never found a native or other natural pond fish that has colors worth being kept in an aquarium. So, this would be pretty new to me. I have two ponds that I coul introduce them in as a last resort.

Dollar sunfish can get up to 5 inches long. IMO they need a 40g at minimum. I suggest releasing him back to his pond.

Yeah I second on getting at least a 40 gallon. A 20 gallon is too small..better than a 10 gallon, but I still think you should get at least 40 gallons. JMO, but you should go with a 55.

One last option, 55 gallon tank. Although there is one catch, it inhabits a red eared slider at about 7 inches at its carapace. Could thatwprk

Back
Top Bottom