Log of My Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the green plant doesnt seem to be thrilled in the ambient humidity. The stuff in the tank seems fine but the leftovers seem a little dry. I am going to give it a week or 2. I guess I should have mentioned that this experiment will be a long process. You cant rush it anyway.

Update! So the plants all seem fine in my houses humidity. I have decided to fill the tank all the way. I have come up with a pretty cool system I think. I am building a glass and acrylic shelf to have the plants on so they arent submerged completely.
I will include a materials cost list later.
So I am wondering... do yall think fhe experiment would be comprimised if I used a different species than GBRs?

Update! So the plants all seem fine in my houses humidity. I have decided to fill the tank all the way. I have come up with a pretty cool system I think. I am building a glass and acrylic shelf to have the plants on so they arent submerged completely.
I will include a materials cost list later.
So I am wondering... do yall think fhe experiment would be comprimised if I used a different species than GBRs?

I don't see why it would. What did you have in mind?

I don't see why it would. What did you have in mind?

Well I have 2 thoughts. 1 is I found a mystery fish in a batch of feeders I really like but cant get an ID on (have a seperate thread) the other was african dwarf frogs and red cherry shrimp with possibly a betta (I really like listening to he frogs chirp). I dont know just a thought.
Also I dont think Im gonna run a filter. I think I will put a powerhead on the shelf pointed at the plants and a few rocks (for bb). I really think the setup will work just as well.

Alright stock can wait till later. For now I need to focus on actual setup. Going to buy a powerhead or 2 to circulate water. I was thinking hydor pico. Good?

What are you using as substrate? Since you aren't using a filter it might be worthwhile to look at something like pumice (assuming you can get it to sink properly) its the same thing as seachem de nitrate so it can aid in nitrate reduction.

It should also be a great substrate for plants.

What are you using as substrate? Since you aren't using a filter it might be worthwhile to look at something like pumice (assuming you can get it to sink properly) its the same thing as seachem de nitrate so it can aid in nitrate reduction.

It should also be a great substrate for plants.

Substrate is already in. It is play sand. However most of my plants are getting planted in baby food jars so substrate in those can be anything. I was thinking gravel maybe with dirt but something to help with nitrates could be helpful. I am going to add some rocks as well to hopefully build up bb on.

Substrate is already in. It is play sand. However most of my plants are getting planted in baby food jars so substrate in those can be anything. I was thinking gravel maybe with dirt but something to help with nitrates could be helpful. I am going to add some rocks as well to hopefully build up bb on.

Just a thought but having them planted in baby food jars wouldn't that reduce the amount of water the roots are contacting therefore reducing the amount of waste the roots are removing from the water. The water wont be flowing over the roots and the water in the jars could become stagnant. I have know experience with aquatic plants it was just my train of thought.

Just a thought but having them planted in baby food jars wouldn't that reduce the amount of water the roots are contacting therefore reducing the amount of waste the roots are removing from the water. The water wont be flowing over the roots and the water in the jars could become stagnant. I have know experience with aquatic plants it was just my train of thought.

Hmmm...this is true.. I may need a new plan.... the shelf cannot support much more weight so I will probably need to reinforce it and make a garden bed kind of deal. Is there a way to cut glass without any special tools? I have a piece of glass I could use in junction with some pvc supports but its pretty big. I could use it but it will block alot of light and water flow.

Score it with a glass cutter, soak a piece of yarn in lighter fluid, tie yarn around bottle, set yarn on fire, and then run cold tap water over it when the fire burns out. That should crack it and you can just sand the edges.

Score it with a glass cutter, soak a piece of yarn in lighter fluid, tie yarn around bottle, set yarn on fire, and then run cold tap water over it when the fire burns out. That should crack it and you can just sand the edges.

Interesting. So I would just lay the string along the edge I want to cut on a flat plane as well? It wont crack the whoke pane?

if it's a flat pane I would just use a glass cutter. It's more reliable and accurate. It is possible that it would work though.

if it's a flat pane I would just use a glass cutter. It's more reliable and accurate. It is possible that it would work though.

Ill look up glass cutters. I dont have one. Are they pricey?

Hydor is a great brand. Personally, my fav. would be the hydor koralia nano. The smallest one should be just fine for a 20g tank although I am not sure what you are shooting for as far as flow goes.

I run 2 of the nano 240s in my 20g reef tank along with a 70gph ish water pump from my refugium.

Hydor is a great brand. Personally, my fav. would be the hydor koralia nano. The smallest one should be just fine for a 20g tank although I am not sure what you are shooting for as far as flow goes.

I run 2 of the nano 240s in my 20g reef tank along with a 70gph ish water pump from my refugium.

Cool. I am not sure myself. I thought about running 2. One for the shelf and one below the shelf. I like the hydors because they are tiny.

You could try a shower caddy to plant your plants in because they have slits and holes in them

You could try a shower caddy to plant your plants in because they have slits and holes in them

Thanks! I dod look at those but suction cups and me have never got along lol for some reason mine always fall off and that woukd be a mess lol

Thanks! I dod look at those but suction cups and me have never got along lol for some reason mine always fall off and that woukd be a mess lol
That actually sounds like a great idea there, perfect platform for plants! Maybe just rest it on some of those baby food jars to keep it off the substrate, you could pack it with moss or some kind of nutrient nest!

Back
Top Bottom