Logging my 55 Gallon Aquarium (pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I posted this message in the unhealthy fish section as well, just want to try to get as much advice as possible.

I have an electric blue jack dempsey that I believe is suffering from an internal parasite.

He has been denying food that he would normally eat, like flakes and sinking or floating pellets. He would consume bloodworms, but would eventually make gagging motions before regurgitating it.

His waste is also somewhat clear/white and stringy, which I've read is a possible sign of a parasite. None of his tankmates are showing any issues.

I do not have a quarantine tank and I fear that if I waited a few weeks for a QT to cycle, it would be too late for the jack.

My lfs suggested 'Tank Buddies' which will treat external as well as internal parasites. If I treat the tank with this, will it actually work? What about the other fish, will the medication adversely affect them?

What should I do?

You may not need to fully cycle a QT. If you have a filter with more than one pad, you can take a used pad, and a small glass full of gravel, and put them in your QT. Then just monitor water levels carefully.

Well, I went to a local petsmart since my lfs is too far away and is closed. I was told to use Mela-Fix. I had something that specifically treats internal/external parasites, but was told Mela-Fix is the best product for this issue.

The bottle says nothing about parasites, it says it treats fin rot, open sores or wounds & funguses and body slime. The directions say to remove the carbon filter and doze the tank for a week then do a pwc.

Anybody have experience or other suggestions??

Well, I purchased Jungle's internal parasite guard with praziquantel. I did the first dose on the tank and will add the second dose in 2 day, as the instructions say.

Unfortunately, the electric blue is gone. I had been checking on him all evening and he eventually settled on his side with no movement from his gills.

I'll still finish the dosage of Jungle's in case his internal parasite spread. A week ago I thought he was just being a picky eater. I've barely had this tank a couple months and I've already had to return 2 fish and I've killed one off. Why did I even invest in this hobby in the first place?

Don't let a couple of setbacks make you give up. Sometimes these things happen and are a part of life. We all do our best, but sometimes nothing can be done.

Get out there and make it happen again!

Back
Top Bottom