Logic and logistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah the fish humor - not every one understands...

But I have been wanting something like that trash can and a rolling base! So not funny, I am jealous, ;) .

The water pressure in the house is just awful, I don’t know if it’s the fixtures or whoever put it in used 1/4” pipes, so the only realistic way to fill buckets is in the garage right after the water comes into the house. Unfortunately, that means no hot water, which is fine until the winter. So this way I should be able to fill it up and get a heater into it and whatnot, not to mention not having to move water 5 gallons at a time. I really do think that I should save up for an RO unit given how hard my water is, so this is kinda a stepping stone towards that too.

Great! Don't forget to shake the dickens out of it for a bit.

Did it explode going over the mountains? Padding was for liquid absorption, just in case.

Last edited:
Did my math using the formula from your main fenbendazol thread, Autumn, fished the purigen out of the sump (it needed a bleach soak anyway), and dosed it. The tank is cloudy now but the shrimp all seem to be fine, at least after half an hour or so.

I scrubbed out and calibrated my new trash can, and then did a 20 gallon water change. Works pretty slick, the only issue I’m having now is that my drain line sometimes doesn’t flow, so I might look into a little pump to live in the sump just for kickstarting it. And then, of course, I start thinking of something I could put on the overflow line to just divert water totally out of the sump if I’m pumping fresh water in to the main tank...

I like the trash can story still wanting to adopt that I think. I think an extra pump is good.

See any Planaria, what about setting the trap and see???

That’s a good idea, I’ll try to set it up tomorrow. The trash can and dolly seemed to handle 20 gallons with no problem, just had to be careful over the thresholds to get from the garage into the house. I might try to go up another 5 gallons just to see how it does, but I think if you tried to go up to 30 you’d start asking for trouble, it’d get pretty top heavy. And just regular heavy too.

How far is it from your tank to the door of your garage? Might be worth leaving the can in the garage, dropping in a submersible pump, and running tubing from the pump to your tank. I've used this method up to 25 feet and had plenty of flow left. A decent pump should push it out quite a bit further.

Yeah, I’ve thought about it, but it really doesn’t seem to be a problem to get it through. I think the hassle of tangling and untangling hose would be more trouble than I’d like when it comes down to it. I don’t need to change much more than 20 gallons at a time anyway, both tanks are in the 40-50 gallon range total volume so that gets me to the 50% water change range if I’m doing them one at a time. Which is way better than I do hauling buckets!

Nah just roll it up in a circle like garden hose on the floor or hang it. I used to do the 5 gallon bucket thing on my 150g tank. 50 gallon water changes once a week. Lol. Talk about a pain. Once I got my 55 gallon barrel and submersible pump it was much more enjoyable. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom