Lonely Corys? Please Help! Need Advice - Thx!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkdestraven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Went to LFS yesterday to start stocking new (fishless cycled) 20g high tank. I wanted a young betta, which I think I got. Then, the gentleman at the store helped me with choosing corys. I got two panda and two sterbai, which he said would all stay together to get me to a minimum number that would be good.

Well, it doesn't appear to be working out that way. The two panda stick together, and the two sterbai do as well. So, I don't have a group of four -- I have two groups of two.

Should I just get a couple more of each kind and let it go at that? I was hoping to add some tetras at a later date, but if I have to shift my plan to get more corys so that they can be happy, I will do that; no problem. I would really appreciate some advice about this, as I want to have a happy and healthy community tank. Thanks, in advance.

A mixed group of corydoras is fine, but you are right in that they will choose their own kind over another species. Your plan of a single male betta, cories, and a school of some kind of tetra should be fine in that tank. I think you could add two more of each species of cory and six small tetras (no fin nippers) without any problems as long as you have adequate filtration. Your betta boy will like some floating plants, too (which also helps with filtration).

Can you tell us what filter you have, as well as what type of tetras you are leaning towards?

Sounds like the start of a pretty set-up!

I'm new at this too, but I was also reading up on the cories...seems they much prefer their own specific species. That said, I have 6 of the same & they still seem to split off into their own little "cliques". They will sit together but when they swim they're in smaller groups--I've not seen all 6 together more than once! It probably wouldn't hurt to add a couple more of each if you can though.

Just a note about your betta...male/female? Both sexes are better off by themselves, males definitely. I looked into putting a few females in my community tank & after reading a few betta forums it seems not such a good idea.

Hello mk...

Corydoras are shoaling fish, not schooling fish like Tetras. Corys aren't going to stay in tight groups for protection or mimic another's movements. Corys of the same species will forage together in a very loose group, but tend to keep to their own species. Six or more of the same species is likely best, but Corys will adapt to being in smaller groups or even being alone.

B

Artist .....

Thanks for the response! My filter is an Aqueon Power Filter 10. It came in the kit my daughter bought for me. I've already upgraded the heater and will also be changing the lid. I don't like the way the filter pushes so much water around. The betta really keeps his distance. The tank is heavily planted and I did a fish less cycle, which was completed for several days before I introduced fish. I haven't decided on the kind of tetra yet. I've heard neons can be nippy with bettas. Any suggestions?

Brendainnj --

My betta is a young male. He will be the only betta in this tank. I've heard that one can keep females together, but they can be "assertive" toward each other until they establish a pecking order.

Artist .....

Thanks for the response! My filter is an Aqueon Power Filter 10. It came in the kit my daughter bought for me. I've already upgraded the heater and will also be changing the lid. I don't like the way the filter pushes so much water around. The betta really keeps his distance. The tank is heavily planted and I did a fish less cycle, which was completed for several days before I introduced fish. I haven't decided on the kind of tetra yet. I've heard neons can be nippy with bettas. Any suggestions?

Yeah, those Aqueaon Power filters produce strong currents. I have one in my coldwater tank and it is awesome--but I would guess a betta wouldn't like it much. I would suggest you swap it for an Aquaclear 30 which hold more biomedia but has a milder current. I use that in my 20 H planted tank. I imagine your filter is rated for a 10-20 gallon tank, but with cories I would want to keep that water as pristine as possible so upgrading would be wise. Or you could baffle the Aqueon and add a small sponge filter (but I dislike how they take up tank space).

My neons aren't the least bit nippy to any other species in my tanks, but some people don't have luck with them. There is some bad stock out there. I've been lucky--I've had 14 in my 55 gallon since last summer and 5 in my 20 gallon for 16 months. I love how peaceful glowlight tetras and pristella tetras are. Both have an understated beauty, too, and won't compete with your betta for the limelight! What color is your betta? Whatever you select, just make sure you quarantine for 3 or 4 weeks.

Post a photo of your set-up--would love to see it!

Yeah, those Aqueaon Power filters produce strong currents. I have one in my coldwater tank and it is awesome--but I would guess a betta wouldn't like it much. I would suggest you swap it for an Aquaclear 30 which hold more biomedia but has a milder current.

I love how peaceful glowlight tetras and pristella tetras are. Both have an understated beauty, too, and won't compete with your betta for the limelight! What color is your betta? Whatever you select, just make sure you quarantine for 3 or 4 weeks.

Post a photo of your set-up--would love to see it!

I like the look of the Aquaclear filter. If I get that, is it right to take the filter media out of my existing filter and put it into the new one?

My betta is blue, pink, red, and purple. He is a double tail. I don't know if he's small because he's young or because he's just a little guy. LFS said he is still young.
I tried to attach pic of tank, but I'm not sure it worked. I'll definitely check out the tetras. Thanks!

I like the look of the Aquaclear filter. If I get that, is it right to take the filter media out of my existing filter and put it into the new one?

My betta is blue, pink, red, and purple. He is a double tail. I don't know if he's small because he's young or because he's just a little guy. LFS said he is still young.
I tried to attach pic of tank, but I'm not sure it worked. I'll definitely check out the tetras. Thanks!

Can you see the pictures here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/91190-albums13891.html

Is this the usual way to post pics?

The way the two filters are arranged are totally different but you could either run both filters for awhile until the bb build up in the Aquaclear or you could set up the new filter, swish and squeeze the old media in the tank to seed the new filter and maybe even just leave the floss/charcoal pack right in the tank for a month or so. I've done that before with fry tanks; I just removed some foam floss and tossed it loose in the tank to introduce beneficial bacteria.

Your betta is beautiful and so is the tank. I could see them using your link but you can post directly, too. You use the "Go Advanced" bottom below the reply window, then look for the attachment icon.

The way the two filters are arranged are totally different but you could either run both filters for awhile until the bb build up in the Aquaclear or you could set up the new filter, swish and squeeze ....

Your betta is beautiful and so is the tank. I could see them using your link but you can post directly, too. You use the "Go Advanced" bottom below the reply window, then look for the attachment icon.

I think I"m gonna try the "swish and squeeze method" for the filter. It's a relatively small tank, so it might be too much to have both filters in there. In any case, thanks for all of the info and for taking time to look at my pics. I love having the tank. I can see how one could want bigger, and bigger, and bigger!

Back
Top Bottom