Lonely male swordtail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeugirdor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a 30 gallon tank cycled since January with five tiger barbs in it. This weekend I bought three male sword-tails (I know they get aggressive towards each other to fight for mates, but I figured with no females they'd be fine) and two of them have already died. I tested my water at the store before I bought them and it was fine. I'm guessing they died from the stress of the tiger barbs? They have nipped their tails a little, but they mostly nipped the one that's still alive and he doesn't seemed stressed at all. I think he had nipped at his fellow species members as well. Should I return him or will he be fine with my barbs? He does seem like a trooper.. I'm planning on buying some more barbs to help their aggression but this is my first tank and I really didn't want a species only..

Sorry for the long post, I'll learn to shorten up, this is my first time on the forums ;) thanks in advance!

I'm also considering either giant danios or Bosemani (sp?) rainbows, but I'm not sure if I have enough room. And I started to develop brown algae and wouldn't mind a nice bottom dweller to help that out if there are any suggestions?

If it's a group of say three or four I could probably handle them? I'm just not having luck with getting fish with these barbs. They devoured a baby pleco I bought a couple weeks in, so I don't want to buy any more expensive fish unless I'm sure they'll be fine. So do you suggest the danios?

Back
Top Bottom