Long fin white cloud minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Research turned up nothing! I really like the pictures I've seen of them, and I know they're related to danios, and was thinking about replacing the danios with them. That would make this my stocking:
6 long fin white cloud minnows
6 black skirt tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams
1 starlight bristlenose pleco
1 keyhole cichlid.
29 gallon tank. I know the pair of rams could be bad, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Anything on the minnows would be great, like temperament wise and stuff.

No, White clouds are not related to danios at all (not closely anyway).

The long finned variety of the white cloud is also called meteor minnows - you might find more info looking under that. However, the long fin & regular minnows are pretty much the same in terms of water conditions & care. Both are hardy, cold water fish, that prefers fast running water with high O2.

This will get you started:
Robyn's White Cloud Mountain Minnow Page

Thanks for the article! I will probably keep my tank around 80... Which is a bit over the max for them... You think they'd adapt?

most fish can adapt pretty good,i once kept a feeder goldfish in an inch and a half of brackish water for a couple months and it lived longer than the other 3 goldies(they were feeders for my crabs...and outlived them)

Homedog98 said:
Thanks for the article! I will probably keep my tank around 80... Which is a bit over the max for them... You think they'd adapt?

I have 6 golden white clouds in my tank, they have been doing fine in a tank at 80 degrees. They are middle to upper level swimmers, really active, they don't truly school, and are always hungry. They love everything, from flakes, to small pellets and also bloodworms.

I really like them, I think that will be a great addition to your tank.

Are you possibly thinking of the sparkle-eye whiteclouds? They are warm water fish unlike the typical whiteclouds. Their fins do look longer. Very pretty.

EDIT: I read more carefully above now and see about the long fin minnows. Anyway the sparkle eyes would be perfect at 80.

Research turned up nothing! I really like the pictures I've seen of them, and I know they're related to danios, and was thinking about replacing the danios with them. That would make this my stocking:
6 long fin white cloud minnows
6 black skirt tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams
1 starlight bristlenose pleco
1 keyhole cichlid.
29 gallon tank. I know the pair of rams could be bad, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Anything on the minnows would be great, like temperament wise and stuff.

i don't know much about them. but i do know that HN1 and severum mama are selling them (or have sold them). shoot them a PM, i'm sure they'll be happy to give you some info :)

80 is prob OK for white clouds if you have good oxygenation. My tank goes over 80 in the summer with no ill effects. <Of course I can't say much about long term high temp year round ... likely shorten life span ... as most cold water fish (gold fish included) have higher metabolism & grow faster in warmer water, but live shorter.>

white clouds will be ok at 80 but as jsoong said a higher temperature will shorten their lifespan.

Pete

No, White clouds are not related to danios at all (not closely anyway).

But not too far either. They are both in the family Cyprinidae, but in different branches of it. They have fairly different requirements.

They are great little fish, but don't take the water temperature too high. They are a cool water fish and generally prefer temperatures in the 64-74F range.

mommytron said:
i don't know much about them. but i do know that HN1 and severum mama are selling them (or have sold them). shoot them a PM, i'm sure they'll be happy to give you some info :)

That's actually how I found out about them! I like them a lot, but exactly how much shorter will their lives be if they're in that temp?

Back
Top Bottom