Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. As you can see from my sig, I have a 20g with some fish and I was surfing youtube and I came up with the idea to move everything from the 20g into the 55g I will be soon acquiring, and turn the 20g into a LFABP Breeding tank. I would also love to have some live plants that are low maintenance and would fare well with these plecos.

I guess what I'm asking is; what kind of plants work with these guys, where can I find a well written tutorial on breeding these (or feel free to write one here yourself), and where can I find a well-written article on caring for these (or again, write one yourself if you wish).

My LFS buys fry at a pretty nice price. Plecos are good sellers in his shop.

Any help is appreciated.

Breeding them is the same as any other bristlenose plec except the long fins can be a little more finicky when it comes to water conditions. You will want to make sure you have adequate filtration on the 20g because they are very messy once you get a large amount of fry.

Breeding them is the same as any other bristlenose plec except the long fins can be a little more finicky when it comes to water conditions. You will want to make sure you have adequate filtration on the 20g because they are very messy once you get a large amount of fry.

Thanks for the help. I had been searching around and details have been kind of murky. Approximately how many fry will spawn? What size grow-out will I need? Will I need a grow-out if they are only going to be around until marketable size?

Thanks for the help. I had been searching around and details have been kind of murky. Approximately how many fry will spawn? What size grow-out will I need? Will I need a grow-out if they are only going to be around until marketable size?

I usually get 50-100 from my young pair. If you're only having one pair you can have them all in the 20g to grow out as long as you can keep on top of water conditions.

I usually get 50-100 from my young pair. If you're only having one pair you can have them all in the 20g to grow out as long as you can keep on top of water conditions.

Okay. What readings are susceptible to change during the growing of the fry and during spawning?

Okay. What readings are susceptible to change during the growing of the fry and during spawning?

Fish spawning does not change your water parameters. Just be a smart, attentive fishkeeper. Make sure you never get ammonia or nitrite spikes, keep the tank well maintained, do frequent water changes, keep nitrates low, etc. That's what she means.

Like all fish you have to make sure ammonia and nitrite remain 0 and nitrate remains low. The lower the nitrate, the better for fry. The temperature needs to remain stable and when doing water changes make sure the pH/KH/GH isn't changing. That can be avoided by using the same source water every water change. Lots of smaller water changes throughout the week are usually better than one massive one while the fry are very young. A water change of a few degrees cooler can help bring on spawning behavior. Once you get a large amount of fry you will have to make sure the nitrates are not spiking too high between water changes. Bristlenose are easy to breed. Once they start there's not stopping them.

Fish spawning does not change your water parameters. Just be a smart, attentive fishkeeper. Make sure you never get ammonia or nitrite spikes, keep the tank well maintained, do frequent water changes, keep nitrates low, etc. That's what she means.

My mistake.

Like all fish you have to make sure ammonia and nitrite remain 0 and nitrate remains low. The lower the nitrate, the better for fry. The temperature needs to remain stable and when doing water changes make sure the pH/KH/GH isn't changing. That can be avoided by using the same source water every water change. Lots of smaller water changes throughout the week are usually better than one massive one while the fry are very young. A water change of a few degrees cooler can help bring on spawning behavior. Once you get a large amount of fry you will have to make sure the nitrates are not spiking too high between water changes. Bristlenose are easy to breed. Once they start there's not stopping them.

I see. Well, everything seems in the clear for me when I tear apart my 20g in around a month and a half. I feel prepared for breeding. Is there absolutely no way to stop them from breeding, short of separating them? I don't know that I constantly want them spawning :blink:.

Should I be looking at a specific grade of substrate? Barebottom? Any kind of easy plants they like?

My mistake. I see. Well, everything seems in the clear for me when I tear apart my 20g in around a month and a half. I feel prepared for breeding. Is there absolutely no way to stop them from breeding, short of separating them? I don't know that I constantly want them spawning :blink:. Should I be looking at a specific grade of substrate? Barebottom? Any kind of easy plants they like?

They breed like rabbits. Lol. Separating is usually the only way to stop a healthy pair from spawning. You'll get a spawn every 1-2 months. Any substrate is fine. I have sand because I like the look. You can have a bare bottom if you like. It will be easier to keep clean but keep in mind that the majority of the bacteria will then be in the filter so make sure not to over clean the media. Java ferns and anubias are a good choice because they can stand up to the constant rasping from the frys mouths.

They breed like rabbits. Lol. Separating is usually the only way to stop a healthy pair from spawning. You'll get a spawn every 1-2 months. Any substrate is fine. I have sand because I like the look. You can have a bare bottom if you like. It will be easier to keep clean but keep in mind that the majority of the bacteria will then be in the filter so make sure not to over clean the media. Java ferns and anubias are a good choice because they can stand up to the constant rasping from the frys mouths.

Could I keep the pair together and pull out the male when the female is gravid? I don't want to separate the pair entirely in-case I want to breed again. Anyway, are these the plants you mentioned?

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Java Fern Aquatic Plant
Freshwater Aquarium Plants: Anubias barteri

Could I keep the pair together and pull out the male when the female is gravid? I don't want to separate the pair entirely in-case I want to breed again. Anyway, are these the plants you mentioned?

Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Java Fern Aquatic Plant
Freshwater Aquarium Plants: Anubias barteri

Those are the plants. Anubias comes in many varieties with different leaf size and shape. Don't plant anubias or Java fern. Tie them down to a rock or driftwood using fishing line or string. They will eventually grab on themselves.

Could I keep the pair together and pull out the male when the female is gravid? I don't want to separate the pair entirely in-case I want to breed again. Anyway, are these the plants you mentioned? Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Java Fern Aquatic Plant Freshwater Aquarium Plants: Anubias barteri

No. Once the female has laid eggs in the males cave he cares for them. If you really need to remove one of them then its best to remove the female.

Yes, those are the plants.

Those are the plants. Anubias comes in many varieties with different leaf size and shape. Don't plant anubias or Java fern. Tie them down to a rock or driftwood using fishing line or string. They will eventually grab on themselves.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think the plants are kind of pretty and compliment the plecos.

No. Once the female has laid eggs in the males cave he cares for them. If you really need to remove one of them then its best to remove the female.

Yes, those are the plants.

Okay. What would be best fed to the fry? Sinking algae wafers? Or will they be okay with a colony of algae?

Do those plants absolutely need fertilization if I don't use flourite?

Thanks for the recommendation. I think the plants are kind of pretty and compliment the plecos. Okay. What would be best fed to the fry? Sinking algae wafers? Or will they be okay with a colony of algae? Do those plants absolutely need fertilization if I don't use flourite?
I suggest you do some more reading so you are fully prepared to care for them. I feed mine zucchini, algae wafers and flake food. You can feed them sweet potato and pumpkin as well as other green vege and baby brine shrimp. Those plants will be fine without any ferts. They are very low maintenance.

I suggest you do some more reading so you are fully prepared to care for them. I feed mine zucchini, algae wafers and flake food. You can feed them sweet potato and pumpkin as well as other green vege. Those plants will be fine without any ferts. They are very low maintenance.

That actually sums up my questions. I appreciate all of your help. Shall I alert you to the build once it happens to see how it goes?

Back
Top Bottom