Look what I just set up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well one of them has been set for a few weeks now and the other is new........ Check out the picture gallery.

They are the pictures with the guppies in them.

Matt :D

i see tetras, no guppies though!! i'm tryin to share your excitement, i dont know what i'm looking for. doesn't look like you have any new pictures up!
steve

I guess the pictures are pending approval..... You'll know when you see it but I'm not giving up the suprise yet.

That's awsome! I saw a lot of those when I lived in Singapore...I'm not sure, but I think it's illegal to have standing water in your plant pots because of the mosquitos...but if you put fish in there (who eat the mosquito larvae), somehow it was Ok. I found myself always peaking in the large planters I ran across to see who might be living in there!

its illegal in the U.S. or singapore? thats wierd. you'd think the cops have better things to do than inspect peoples potted plants.
steve

In Singapore...because of the incidence of dengue fever (which is in the family of hemorragic fevers), mosquito control is actually a pretty important thing. I'm not certain of the actual legalities of it, but I do know you could be fined for it (and really...why the hell would you want a mosquito breeding ground on your front porch? Those suckers got the size of bumblebees....ick!) (and also...in Singapore you can get fined for pretty much anything...that's why all the hokey tourist tee shirts say stuff like..."Singapore, a *fine* City")

The pots are quite big. I haven't calculated or measured the volume. I'll do some measurements and rough calculations when I get home. The wider and shallower pot wash chosen so I could grow plants for the indoor aquaira. Eventually, I want to get various Amazon Swords and grow them in that one.

I have done same rough calculations and estimate the volumes to be;

Short wide pot (Yellow guppies) is about 55 L or ~16 gal.
Taller narrow pot (Blue Guppies) is about 86 L or ~23 gal.

And now, my stupidity about Austrailian climate will show - where will you move them in the winter? (The reason I ask is that this looks like a really cool set-up, and I might want to - as we said in grade school - "copy off you." It's already winter here. . . :|

I live in the tropical north of Australia. Where I live I don't need to run heaters, ever, even for discus :mrgreen:

In other parts of the country, I'd either have to use heaters or not set it up like that at all.

Back
Top Bottom