Looking at getting a small aquarium for my 3 year olds bedroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking at getting my 3 year old a small aquarium forger new bedroom and I'm wondering on what to put in it. It's not gonna be large. Maybe a 3 gallon tall that will have an air bubbled and some fake plants. What would be some thoughts on fish to go in there other then a Betta? I'll take any opinions into consideration cuz I want her to have a good Easter since she is a foster child. I may even go to another ten gallon but I think I wanna go with a cylindrical tank just cuz her room has restricted space

Ya I'm just kinda looking at cost and what not, I'm maybe gonna push for a 5 gal or try for another ten gallon. She is only 3 but she loves fish. Right now I'm looking at upgrading my 30 gallon tetra 30 to a tetra 45 just for better filtration. And eBay is cheaper then my lfs. If I got hera 5 or 10 gallon what could I do with that?

You could do some least killfish (3-4), or some nano fish (like ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, or chili rasbora, probably 5-6 of one of those) or some endler's livebearers. Then you could add 4-5 pygmy cories, some shrimp maybe, a snail or two. I'd go with the 10 gal, you might regret not going larger later and you'll have more options.

Oh I plan on going larger when I get a house. Probably a 55 gallon for myself. My 30 I may keep may not unsure yet. My 3 year old will have a ten gallon and I have a ten gallon in my bedroom for when my little boy arrives imbibe. Cuz that way he can fall asleep tithe water and the fishes. My 4 month old nephew loves my fishies.

If you get a 10 you'll have quite a few more options and will not have to have the "no honey you can't get that pretty fishy (an Oscar, angelfish, koi) for your tank" as often. Lol... One thing my boys love to do is get a magnifying glass and watch the shrimp and snails all the activity.

can I make a practical suggestion....I onc e years ago had a small 10 gallon tank in my sons room, if you put the tank in a childs room store the fish food where the kiddo cant reach, or in another room.

my son insisted on feeding the fishes resulting in a very over fed fish at the time.

good luck!

Dee

if you put the tank in a childs room store the fish food where the kiddo cant reach, or in another room.

my son insisted on feeding the fishes resulting in a very over fed fish at the time.
LOL that was my exact first thought! We had to hide the fishfood on top of the fridge when I was younger and my lil 3 & 4 y/o nephews would visit. Otherwise you turn around for a sec and a quarter of the flakes got dumped in the water!

In a 10 gallon, I would highly suggest a small school of Neon Tetras. They are beautiful fish, and relatively inexpensive. That's what I have in my 10 gallon tank...

can I make a practical suggestion....I onc e years ago had a small 10 gallon tank in my sons room, if you put the tank in a childs room store the fish food where the kiddo cant reach, or in another room.

good luck!

Dee

OMG I agree 1,000%! my little one "fed" the fish once and it was a disaster. Then a week or so later he comes into the livingroom to announce " I fed the fish but I didn't feed them too much" -- which in 3 year old speak means "holy moley mom i just dumped the whole fish food container in the fish tank but i don't want you to be mad at me". I jumped up and ran to the tank and it looked like a green and orange snow globe. Definitely lock up the fish food! lol!

For feeding, I would suggest using the daily individual pill containers. Put the proper amount in therefore the little one can still feed them

IMO I wouldn't do Neons. They are active little fish and should have more horizontal swim room than a 10 gal can provide.

I definitely wouldn't get a 3 gallon at least in a 5 you could have a betta or some nanofish but if you can go for a 10 I would get all male guppys I have them and it is a very colorful tank. You could get like 5 male guppys and a whole bunch of ghost shrimp I think your daughter would find these very interesting since you can see their organs and bones.

go with the 10g... its actually generally cheaper than small set ups in my experience..

with a 10g you will have quite a few options of fish.. anything smaller, your only choice is a betta really

+1 on all male guppies, if you're like me and try to save every fry you'll be overstocked in 2 months lol

A 10 gallon tank is cheaper then a 2.5 or a 5 surprisingly especially if you get it during the $1 a gallon sale and the equipment for that size tank is pretty much all the same price since your only talking a few extra gallons to filter/heat a 10 over a 5..then there is always the point that everyone has already made about your options of stocking is very limited once you go smaller then 10 gallons...if I were to suggest a tank though id say get a 20 long..they have full setup kits for sale around $120 at petco and it really opens up your options

A 10 gallon tank is cheaper then a 2.5 or a 5 surprisingly especially if you get it during the $1 a gallon sale and the equipment for that size tank is pretty much all the same price since your only talking a few extra gallons to filter/heat a 10 over a 5..then there is always the point that everyone has already made about your options of stocking is very limited once you go smaller then 10 gallons...if I were to suggest a tank though id say get a 20 long..they have full setup kits for sale around $120 at petco and it really opens up your options
Oh heck I get 30 gallon starter kits for 110 dollars at Petsmart, and $40.00 on craigslist.

phoenixkiller said:
Oh heck I get 30 gallon starter kits for 110 dollars at Petsmart, and $40.00 on craigslist.

true, Craigslist would be a great place to look for a tank when you are on a budget

(I didn't read the whole thread, just wanted to make a fish suggestion) in a 3g, the best I could think of is a spoiled beta (haha :)) for a 5g tank, you could get 3-4 neon tetras or 2 male guppies and some red cherry shrimp. For a 10g, you can get some neon tetras, cory catfish, guppies, shrimp, black skirt tetras, or something of that sort that stays small. The general rule I go by for my fish (the ones I currently have) are 2 gallons per guppy (I have three) 1 gallon per neon tetra (also have three) and 1 gallon per cory catfish (I only have one, but I might get him a friend) I know my tank is pretty heavily stocked, but I think I have enough space for one more cory, since they do more cleaning and food eating than they produce waste. And cories do better in groups, and my poor fella looks so lonely! Hope I helped! ^^

Back
Top Bottom