Looking at updating my Filter. Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gog77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to upgrade my filter. Right now I have a Fluval 4 (Internal) and I'm not really happy with it.

I have a 4ft tank which I think is approx 55 Gallons

I'll be getting a newie this week, I'm just after some suggestions.

well what kind are you looking for? hang on tank type, canister, wet dry? the easiest to maintain and setup is the hang on tank filter, its also the cheapest an does most of your main features such as chemicl, mechanicla, and some biological filtration, a canister is the next expensive, although more they are worth the money, there fairly easy to setup and maintain and are cmpletely customizable, wet/ drys are the most expensive nd require alot of work apperently, for a 55 I would do a canister such as the cascade 700, fluval xp3, etc.

I would suggest any canister (FilStar XP's, Fluval 05 Series or Eheim). What ever fits your budget. I run a Fluval 204 on my 38g and love it. HTH

Fishyfanatic said:
I'd go with a canister. If you do go with a Cascade, go with the 1000.

I have been looking around and haven't been able to find that brand anywhere. I'll keep looking though

I have my eye on a Fluval 205 it is a failry decent price and I'll be paying very little postage costs for it. Any info on that?

I'd reccomed the fluval. thats all my partner sells in the shop that she works in. or maybe a AQUA ONE CF1000 i dont know whats available in vic. IME the Aqua 1 are good.

The Cascade brand may not be for sale in Australia so you might have a hard time finding it. Fluval, Eheim, and Filstars are all great brands too.

trotty said:
or maybe a AQUA ONE CF1000 i dont know whats available in vic. IME the Aqua 1 are good.

I ended up buying that one and it should be here in a couple of days. Accessories for Aqua One are available at the pet shops around here also so that helped in making my decision.

I hope it's a good one :)

The only problem i found with the Aqua 1 is the taps might leak after a while. $10 replacement cost...
I have one of the original Aqua 1's, it was called a via aqua 750. Still running today 4 years later. All mine are the CF 1200's and still have 5 on tanks. Great versatility too!
They are virtually silent.
I don't think you will ever go back. :)

Back
Top Bottom