Looking for a cool fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have the right footprint I'd be looking at the ambush puffers (personally) if you want to keep it freshwater. A long tank is necessary for any puffer though, otherwise you'll see almost constant glass surfing.

The Dragon (Palembang) puffer, Arrowhead and Hairy puffers are all great options. If you're looking for a tank with activity, these aren't for you though. They're going to resemble rocks most of the time and tank mates don't last long. They also can take considerable effort to teach them to take frozen foods. I'd recommend experience with other puffers prior to keeping these, but that's just my opinion. They come with a very high price tag, and can be challenge to find and keep.

The Avocado would be a great puffer. They're an active river puffer that have a streamlined body designed for speed. They are also species only, but will provide a more entertaining tank if you're new to puffers. Their teeth grow fast though, second only to the Amazon and will require lots if snails and hard shelled foods to keep them healthy.

The Amazon puffer should be left to the expert puffer keepers only. They have the fastest tooth growth rate, and will have to have it manually trimmed. 15 gallons minimum for 1, they prefer large groups of 5+ and contrary to popular belief, they don't do well in community tanks.

The Irrubesco puffer (Red Tail Red Eye) is an active species that like the aesthetic planted tanks, and can be kept in groups. I don't have experience with these, mostly because I've never had the chance to own any, but are stunning in the right tank.

If you make it a brackish tank, by the minium tank size rule you can keep two Figure 8s, but I prefer odd numbers and would try 3 to prevent one from getting bullied.

GSP's are one to every 30 gallons and will need full marine as adults. If you start a brackish tank I'd recommend the Figure 8s. They have awesome personalities, and I've seen some success with these and Bumblebee Gobies.

Agree with all of this. Puffers are awesome but you have to do research and choose the one that works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom