Looking for a new fav fish for community freshwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Y old fav was blue dwarf gouramis. But I would keep two at a time and after about 4-6 months one would die then a day or so after the next. I just want a good hardy fish that is available at Petsmart. Please include your personal favs as well .

Turquoise rainbows. Won't look like much at petsmart but once they get comfy in ur tank they color up great

If tank is larger than 20gal, German blue ram is great as it has brighter colourations than Bolivian IMO. If you would like some schooling activity I highly recommend rummy nose tetras. If you are fond of catfishes, pictus cats are nice if you can house them in groups without overstocking

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just out of curiosity, were you keeping females with your dwarfs? If you were only keeping males that seems to be the norm. Short live span for some reason. If you add a female per male (females are pale and nothing special to look at) they live a lot longer. Had the same issue in the past. Just something to consider.

The normal gourami are usually much more hardy. Blue, gold, moonlight, three spot. What else is in the tank?

Yea I was keeping all males so that's why. Also is 36 gal

Yea I was keeping all males so that's why. Also is 36 gal
I would recommend again the rams because I know you have very high nitrates out of the tap, and rams are particularly sensitive to nitrates. They are best kept in tanks that never go above 20ppm nitrate which is going to be difficult for you.
Not saying there aren't going to be great centerpiece fish for you, but I would feel badly if you went for rams and they quickly did not make it. I just don't think they are suited to your parameters.

Back
Top Bottom