Looking for a small, surface schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrippin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a freshwater 29G biocube that I am looking to add a school of 6 small, tightly schooling fish.

I currently have a school of 6 lambchop rasboras in there. Problem is that they do not school well whatsoever due to having no threats in the tank... So they basically swim around and make the tank look very hectic.

I would prefer to stay around the same size if possible, due to the tank being fully stocked. And colorful, surface fish would be a huge plus.

I was thinking Cardinal tetras, but I've read that they stay more towards the bottom of the tank? Or possibly thread fin rainbows fish, but I'm concerned they would be a little too large.

Thanks in advance!

I think hatchet fish are schooling you'd just have to have a good cover or lower water so they don't jump out

Keep calm and rock on

What about zebra danios? The ones I've had have all stayed relatively at the top, sometimes venturing down slightly. Plus they stay small (roughly 2-3") and school well.
I'd recommend at least 5, preferably 6-8, or more if you can. Mine have all been pretty hardy and they zip around the tank constantly so you'll never get bored watching them.

I wouldn't be opposed to a larger species, I'm just trying to stay around .5" to 1.5" area if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most schooling species don't stay in tight schools. But larger groups do help with visuals. A single top dweller would be a Honey or Dwarf Gourami.

Hatchets are cool, Marble Hatchets stay smallish but they need covered tops and mine did best with quality food and some floating plants.

Well so far I have 3 showcase fish in the tank, one being a male betta, and the other two being a male/female pair of longfin German blue Rams.

Do you think a gourami would throw the visual aspect off? Also, I'm not sure about the temperament of gouramis... Currently all of my fish are extremely friendly and happy, occasionally shoaling together throughout the day, betta included.

Depending on the betta color a gourami could tie together quite nicely. I keep a betta and gourami in a 25g and they get along fine and they compliment each other's colors nicely

Keep calm and rock on

How large would a gourami get? Considering I am looking for something on the smaller to medium size.

I depends on the gourami. Mine I believe I just a blue gourami and is slightly bigger than my vail betta but there are smaller ones such as the dwarf gourami.

Keep calm and rock on

Generally if you only have a small school the fish will only school when they are uncomfortable or scared. If you up the the numbers you are more likely to see schooling behavior. I started with six harlequin rasboras which are very similar but they didn't school. When increased school size to 12 they are always schooling now.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Perhaps such a thing?

102018-albums14463-picture69895.jpg

Arthur, those are halfbeaks. Nice little top schooling fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Depending on the betta color a gourami could tie together quite nicely. I keep a betta and gourami in a 25g and they get along fine and they compliment each other's colors nicely

Keep calm and rock on

I would not put a betta and gourami in the same tank. Both being anabantoids, they have a tendency to fight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not put a betta and gourami in the same tank. Both being anabantoids, they have a tendency to fight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That also depends on the temperament of the fish. My betta gourami where among the first fish I've ever gotten and they live together happily without any fighting among the two of them

Keep calm and rock on

Back
Top Bottom