Looking for a tetra that occupies mid/high level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my small school of Rummynose Tetras have adjusted to their new home and seem happy. Given that they're staying at the mid/low level of the tank and that my future stocking (Neon Tetras and a Bolivian Ram) hang out in the same general space, I'm looking to get a small school of something else to occupy the mid/top space. I realize that Zebra Danios and Harlequin Rasboras are good for this, but part of me wants to stick with the South American tetra theme. Does anyone know of a tetra species that will fill this role?

Parameters: 29-gallon tank, 77 deg. F, pH 7.4, soft water (~3 deg GH), moderately planted, T8 bulb

Hatchets would definitely occupy the top/ mid levels, mostly top.

How many Rummynose tetras do you have and how many Neons do you plan to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I hadn't considered hatchetfish. Thanks for the suggestion.

How many Rummynose tetras do you have and how many Neons do you plan to get?

I have 8 Rummys and plan on getting 8-10 Neons and one ram. At that point, my guess is that I'd have room for maybe 6 small-ish top-dwellers (Danios may be too big).

Bleeding heart tetras or similar will hang out in the mid layers of the tank,
and somebody already beat me to suggesting hatchets.

Darn, if you weren't sticking to a SA theme I'd have recommended any of the dwarf blue-eyed rainbowfish like furcata or threadfin. I'd try looking for certain killifish or maybe some pencilfish.

Last edited:
Bleeding heart tetras or similar will hang out in the mid layers of the tank,
and somebody already beat me to suggesting hatchets.

Thanks. I'll have to familiarize myself with those.

Darn, if you weren't sticking to a SA theme I'd have recommended any of the dwarf blue-eyed rainbowfish like furcata or threadfin. I'd try looking for certain killifish or maybe some pencilfish.

It would be nice to maintain the SA flavor, but I've already somewhat screwed it up by adding Assassin Snails and Crytps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

According to Fishlore, Black Skirt ("Black Widow") Tetras tend to hang out in the middle/upper region of the tank. Does anybody have experience with these?

According to Fishlore, Black Skirt ("Black Widow") Tetras tend to hang out in the middle/upper region of the tank. Does anybody have experience with these?

Black tetras tend to stay more in the middle than top so they would be challenging your rummynoses for the space ( and would probably win :( ) There are a few top only fish to consider if you can find them: Silver or marble Hatchetfish, Anableps ( a.k.a.4 eye fish) and African Butterfly fish all remain at the water's surface more than anywhere else. You can also check out some of the smaller rainbowfishes however, these will probably take up space both in the middle and upper levels. In order to not overtake your "noses, I would go with varieties that remain small. ;)

Hope this helps

butterfly fish will eat your tetras , I was at aqua sereian yesterday(buying yo yo loachs ) and I think they had a bunch of hatchets

Black tetras tend to stay more in the middle than top so they would be challenging your rummynoses for the space ( and would probably win :( ) There are a few top only fish to consider if you can find them: Silver or marble Hatchetfish, Anableps ( a.k.a.4 eye fish) and African Butterfly fish all remain at the water's surface more than anywhere else. You can also check out some of the smaller rainbowfishes however, these will probably take up space both in the middle and upper levels. In order to not overtake your "noses, I would go with varieties that remain small. ;)

Hope this helps

Thanks. Do Harlequin Rasboras occupy the top third of the tank, or are will they similarly clog up the middle of the tank?

butterfly fish will eat your tetras , I was at aqua sereian yesterday(buying yo yo loachs ) and I think they had a bunch of hatchets

Good to know. I will be heading there this weekend.

It would depend on the differences in the sizes. A well fed smaller Butterfly would have no need to go after a larger rummynose. That being said, it was suggested only for it's living at the surface lifestyle. ;) (There is a very limited amount of choices that only live at the surface. :( ) If it were for my own tank, my first, second and third choices would be Hatchetfish, hatchetfish and then hatchetfish. They are just such a cool looking fish as a school at the top of the tank. (y)

They should but I'm not sure whether the ram would peacefully coexist with your Rummynoses. As a Cichlid, they can be territorial. I have not experienced having them in a mixed tank so I can only go by "typical Cichlid behavior". I believe the M. Ramerizi would be a less aggressive fish (between the 2 rams) in your situation.

They should but I'm not sure whether the ram would peacefully coexist with your Rummynoses. As a Cichlid, they can be territorial. I have not experienced having them in a mixed tank so I can only go by "typical Cichlid behavior". I believe the M. Ramerizi would be a less aggressive fish (between the 2 rams) in your situation.

My understanding is that Bolivians are very relaxed if only one is kept in the tank. I've heard of others keeping them with tetras.

Bloodfins are nice top level tetras

Yep, that's been on my mind as well. Though I believe that they're more of a middle/top fish.

I may be better off going with a single middle/upper dweller (such as a gourami) to compliment my single bottom dweller (Bolivian ram) and not clog up my middle of 16-18 Rummys and Neons.

My pearl gourami and my red eye tetras are my top dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My understanding is that Bolivians are very relaxed if only one is kept in the tank. I've heard of others keeping them with tetras.

As I said, I haven't had these fish (but I have had and bred the ramerizis) so I did a little research and found that while they are not really aggressive cichlids, they do exhibit territorial tendencies so I don;t now that a single one would be less aggressive but probably more aggressive. Since the Tetras will do some bottom swimming time, it may be an issue.?
Here is some of what I found: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=420
There are key words (i.e. Mildly aggressive, Brave enough to be with larger fish) that make me wonder just how peaceful these fish really are towards totally non aggressive fish.

Back
Top Bottom