Looking for an outdoor fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any suggestions on a fish I can keep outdoors in a 20long? I need it to be tough enough to stay out in water in the mid 80s and then be able to hopefully tackle water temperatures as low as 40-50F. I was thinking about using guppies or wild gambusia or something but I want your opinions.

i've got guppies outside right now in several tubs. What size fish are you looking for? Gambusia are always a good goto fish, but not very appealing to look at, and not really worth reselling if they overpopulate.

There are lots of topminnows that will likely work, I don't know about the overwintering, but in the creeks and swamps around here it can get down into the 50s and the fish are still alive the following year, so it may be worth a shot.

Least killifish are good, but tiny, and there is a myriad of other larger killies to choose from.

some crayfish(wild caught) and some rosy red minnows,just make sure it doesnt freeze solid.

some crayfish(wild caught) and some rosy red minnows,just make sure it doesnt freeze solid.

Rosy reds get too big. They're fat heads and the ones we use for bait get to like 4" long. As for crayfish, I was thinking that but I plan on keeping some plants in there and I know that crayfish just looooooooveee munching. I think a cloud of female gups are going to be my best bet. I don't want 1000000 guppies swarming this tank. It won't have filtration or heating and will get minimal feeding also... on top of that it's going to be only 3/4 full.

Rosy reds get too big. They're fat heads and the ones we use for bait get to like 4" long. As for crayfish, I was thinking that but I plan on keeping some plants in there and I know that crayfish just looooooooveee munching. I think a cloud of female gups are going to be my best bet. I don't want 1000000 guppies swarming this tank. It won't have filtration or heating and will get minimal feeding also... on top of that it's going to be only 3/4 full.
really? im gonna need to rehome mine... or just leave them and let my cray do it for me
edit:speak of the devil,she just got one

Back
Top Bottom