Looking for another fish(es)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I got my first parrot I tried keeping him in a community tank with gouramis and mollies. He harrassed all the other fish to death. You might be able to get away with the danios since they are so quick, but trust me, the betta is as good as dead. It's a slow moving fish that has no way to defend itself from an aggressive cichlid. The tetras and corys will be fine though. Personality varies from fish to fish, of course, but in general parrots can be pretty aggressive, and do better in pairs or other even numbered groups (the odd one out will get picked on). I have 2 that do very well with a school of barbs.

If I were you, I would nix the betta for sure, and possibly replace the danios with more bloodfins. The danios might be ok, but if a parrot ever catches one it will be eaten for sure. Then I would add another parrot. Mine used to live in separate tanks, and when I moved them back together I noticed a big change in their personalities. They seem a lot happier and they hang out together all the time. I really think they enjoy being together, and they are much more entertaining in pairs or groups. :D If you do get 2 of them, make sure to buy them from the same tank at the same time. This will cut down on aggression, and it is why my parrots couldn't live together until the smaller one grew up a bit. And like FF said, try to buy gray juvies, as this way you will know they are not dyed.

Could a betta live alone with two German Blue Rams? Those will be in my 10 gallon, so I wasn't sure if he could live in there. I can't really nix the betta entirely, because I already own him. :p However, you think the loach, cories, and tetras would be good with the parrot? Would the danios work well if I get a pair of parrots instead of just one?

I can't really nix the betta entirely, because I already own him.
Ah, I see. You know, I'm not sure what would happen between a betta and blue rams. I guess it would depend on whether you had a mild-mannered betta or not. Or maybe it would depend on whether your rams spawn. 8O I don't really know what to tell you about that, but I'm sure it would be a better situation than the betta and parrot(s). Have a tank divider handy in case it doesn't work, that would at least be a temporary solution.

However, you think the loach, cories, and tetras would be good with the parrot? Would the danios work well if I get a pair of parrots instead of just one?
I don't know anything about dojo loaches, but I know of lots of people who keep parrots and clown loaches successfully. I'd say you'll be fine as long as the loach has places to hide that the parrots can't reach (they're so stocky that this should be easy). Again, the danios will be lunch if the parrots ever catch them, but on the other hand the danios are much faster and much more agile than the parrots. It won't matter to the danios whether you have 1 or 2 parrots, either way they are small enough to fit in their mouths. That's why I suggested ditching the danios and bumping up your numbers of the tetras- aren't the bloodfins one of the larger varieties? But, as always, YMMV. :D

The loach likes to hide in caves with really little holes, so I'll be providing him with some of those in the new tank. I like to make things like the fish like 'em, after all. From what I've seen, the bloodfins and danios are very close to being the same size. And that would kind of suggest that both could be potential victims, but the danios are faster (and cheaper if they need to be replaced) so I'd rather go with more of those. I will be increasing the number of tetras, though. Also, it will be a planted tank with plenty of hiding places, would that help the danios out? Or tetras, for that matter.

There is a good chance that the parrots will not only uproot plants, but also rip them to shreds. I tried it, and mine acted like my plants were a friggin' salad bar! :lol: You may be able to keep java fern and anubias, but probably not much else.

OK, I just checked out some info on bloodfin tetras and they are a lot smaller than I was picturing. I thought they were the size of black skirts or something. Parrots will do better with larger tetras like black skirts, or barbs, or something along those lines. But I guess that doesn't mean the bloodfins or danios wouldn't work out, it's just not something that I would try. :)

I was planning on things like that anyway. Low light stuff. I'll have rocks around the bases of the plants when possible, and have them otherwise difficult for the parrots to reach. And the bloodfins are another thing I don't have a lot of options with, as I already own those as well. I'm moving all my fish out of the 10 gallon into the 55. :p

Back
Top Bottom